The most powerful man in politics cannot change US gun laws.

Not that much different from Britain. The Labour Party supported by the Trades Union Congress and the Conservatives from the business and upper classes

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 07:17 ----------

Very relevant these days since we are being told every day that ISIS is intent on bringing the war to America and threatening the security of our free state .I'm looking forward to helping some of them see Mohammed as soon as possible when they do arrive :D

I'm taking my Winchester 94, 12 gage shotgun and Smith and Wesson 357 to church tomorrow to get them blessed in the name of freedom

I'm taking my Winchester 94, 12 gage shotgun and Smith and Wesson 357 to church tomorrow to get them blessed in the name of freedom

Yeah.. you need them when you visit a cinema in America.

That's utterly obscene.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 11:24 ----------

Good quote here which I came across in the Washington Post, quoting the Economist - "Those who live in America, or visit it, might do best to regard [mass shootings] the way one regards air pollution in China: an endemic local health hazard which, for deep-rooted cultural, social, economic and political reasons, the country is incapable of addressing," The Economist wrote in response to the Charleston massacre. "This may, however, be a bit unfair. China seems to be making progress on pollution."

If you have it, use it to help out the country.

"The Pentagon has urged US citizens not to carry out armed patrols outside military recruitment centres.

Civilians acting as unofficial guards have appeared outside some centres since five service personnel were shot dead last week in Tennessee."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33662891

The British aren't (in general) allowed to be armed because the fault lines in our society means that it would be dangerous for that to happen.

What always baffles me is, firearms have been around for centuries, but rampage killings with firearms only started in the 1960's.

Might it not be productive to try and find out why western society is turning out more psychologically unbalanced, violent people these days?

Taking away the guns whilst ignoring the reasons why people are running amok with them doesn't touch the root cause of the problem.

The British aren't (in general) allowed to be armed because the fault lines in our society means that it would be dangerous for that to happen.

What always baffles me is, firearms have been around for centuries, but rampage killings with firearms only started in the 1960's.

I don't think that's true, here's a list that has plenty before the 60s.

Might it not be productive to try and find out why western society is turning out more psychologically unbalanced, violent people these days?

I don't think that's true either.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228340-100-steven-pinker-humans-are-less-violent-than-ever/

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 13:04 ----------

Very relevant these days since we are being told every day that ISIS is intent on bringing the war to America and threatening the security of our free state .I'm looking forward to helping some of them see Mohammed as soon as possible when they do arrive :D

Wow, is that a joke?

You think the threat from ISIS right now is comparable to the threat from the British in the late 18th century?

People who would in a few decades sail up river and burn down the Whitehouse?

Edited by flamingjimmy

I honestly don't see why, in a modern society, a citizen should have any need of a machine specifically crafted to kill other people.

I'm not sure that the US's murder problem is down to firearms though. Can't help I suppose. But Canada has roughly the same rules and their murder rate per capita was actually lower than ours last time I checked.

If President Obama wants to change US gun laws, he can put forward a constitutional amendment repealing the second amendment and campaign for it to be passed. The USA is a constitutional republic for good reason and the President is not supposed to have the power to change such a thing without due process. Otherwise there'd be nothing to stop him overruling the first amendment either.

Edited by unbeliever