Buy British - Do you, would you, should you?

Just like VAT

Up to a point.

VAT is deliberately not imposed on some of the basics which makes it a bit more progressive e.g. children's clothes, basic foodstuffs, books.

When trade tariffs are imposed, or home produced preferred, this tends to apply to things like food and textiles first.

depressingly little interest in the cost to the planet of shipping stuff halfway round the world.

especially such stupid things as blackberries from south america :loopy:

I do try to buy to buy more locally or British often but I am no purest humanity is rapidly swirling down the pan and common sense is fighting a losing battle.:)

depressingly little interest in the cost to the planet of shipping stuff halfway round the world.

especially such stupid things as blackberries from south america :loopy:

Depressingly little interest in the plight of poor people around the world.

With an agrarian economy, how is a poor country to lift its people out of poverty other than by trading with the rest of the world?

Once again, environmental ideology clashes with what is clearly morally and pragmatically righteous.

With an agrarian economy, how is a poor country to lift its people out of poverty other than by trading with the rest of the world?

Once again, environmental ideology clashes with what is clearly morally and pragmatically righteous.

Poor people would be able to get 100% of their food from the country that they live in, unless of course you are hoping Inuits will become vegetarians.

Free trade is put into place for the benefit of big multinational companies, I dont think poor people in the UK benefit from competition from free trade that puts them on the dole.

Free trade and the free movement of people go together, neither should be free, the excesses of both should be curbed.

Poor people would be able to get 100% of their food from the country that they live in, unless of course you are hoping Inuits will become vegetarians.

Free trade is put into place for the benefit of big multinational companies, I dont think poor people in the UK benefit from competition from free trade that puts them on the dole.

Free trade and the free movement of people go together, neither should be free, the excesses of both should be curbed.

The poor people of the world do not generally need food. They have food. Food is what they produce. If they can't sell it abroad, they have no money for investment, healthcare, education etc.

I know it's popular to hate multinationals, but sometimes something benefits both corporations and regular people. I honestly know that you don't want to hurt poor people just so that multinationals are hurt as well. So I really don't think this is a good idea and I think that if you look into it further, you'll come to agree.

You're essentially talking about protectionism.

In general this is not in the long term interests of the countries involved either in terms of economic growth or keeping the peace.

Buying more expensive or inferior home country produce does more harm than good to the economy as money is being wasted.

Countries that trade heavily with each other are less likely to get into armed conflict. Therefore more foreign trade in either direction = more peace.

Just bear that in mind.

Sometimes of course the best value comes from your home country's product. Then it's a no-brainer.

And if you're concerned about environmental affects, then a locally produced potato is better for the environment than one that has been shipped for thousands of miles.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 09:16 ----------

Mini? I dont know if its still made here but its a british brand. Same rover.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 12:13 ----------

We dont export enough. Costs are high and productivity low. We have an excellent manufacturing heritage but have allowed japan, china and germany to overtake us.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 12:16 ----------

Well we are encouraged to think european these days. Its hard to find a trully british product in all aspects. I think we all would like to see more brits working on british products though.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 12:21 ----------

Still some great brit cars about

Mclaren

Aston martin

Land rover

Jaguar

TVR

Lotus

MG

this reads like a list of all things that are not British owned.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 09:17 ----------

I dont see anything thing wrong with protectionism, a small tax on everything that enters the UK would be good.

The EU has a import duty of €339 per ton on raw cane sugar. I would prefer a small import tax and lower income tax, we end up paying it, whatever is taxed.

Have you ever looked at the history of protectionism to illuminate your opinion?

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 09:19 ----------

I would not to use it for protectionism, a rate to replace VAT, so it would not be "less progressive", it would make UK manufactured good more competitive.

It would make UK manufactured goods less competitive elsewhere though as equal and opposite protectionist policies were put in place by foreign governments.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 09:22 ----------

You think it's morally right to ship foodstuffs from poor areas to rich areas?

It has all sorts of negative effects, it's morally dubious, environmentally harmful and is unlikely to generate any positive net economic effect.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 09:24 ----------

The poor people of the world do not generally need food. They have food. Food is what they produce.

This isn't true.

There are often areas suffering from food shortages because they are growing cash crops instead of the food they need to eat.

You think it's morally right to ship foodstuffs from poor areas to rich areas?

It has all sorts of negative effects, it's morally dubious, environmentally harmful and is unlikely to generate any positive net economic effect.

Yes I do.

If they have a surplus and they sell it freely, that is absolutely the right thing to do. How else are these countries supposed to earn a living?

How on earth can it fail to generate a positive economic effect?

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 09:28 ----------

This isn't true.

There are often areas suffering from food shortages because they are growing cash crops instead of the food they need to eat.

It's up to them to strike a balance. I'm sure we can help with good advice etc.

Really how else are they supposed to raise money for anything other than eating?

I can't believe you're even questioning this. It's so obvious.

So I really don't think this is a good idea and I think that if you look into it further, you'll come to agree.

You agreed that import tariffs are similar to VAT, VAT can hurt the poor, but it all depends on the rates.

Not sure that we have any really poor people in the UK, that would suffer because of an import tax that would make home made goods cheaper :loopy:

You agreed that import tariffs are similar to VAT, VAT can hurt the poor, but it all depends on the rates.

Not sure that we have any really poor people in the UK, that would suffer because of an import tax that would make home made goods cheaper :loopy:

It would make imported goods more expensive. Including food.

There's a lot of history in this. Protectionism always does more harm than good.

It would also result in tariffs being imposed on UK goods by the affected countries, meaning that our industries and services would have a hard time selling them anything, making us poorer.

I also presume that you're aware than tariffs on goods from the EU are out of the question unless we withdraw.