MOT retest fees

"You only need a partial retest if you leave the vehicle at the test centre for repair and it’s retested within 10 working days. There’s no fee for this."

The rules try to persuade you to use the same garage for any work to be done; surely this encourages the garage to fail your car in order to get work.

This is wrong. My car is having its MOT done at the moment, I took it to another garage because I didnt feel confident with my previous garage. A few time my cars have failed on front to back brake pipes.

"You only need a partial retest if you leave the vehicle at the test centre for repair and it’s retested within 10 working days. There’s no fee for this."

The rules try to persuade you to use the same garage for any work to be done; surely this encourages the garage to fail your car in order to get work.

This is wrong. My car is having its MOT done at the moment, I took it to another garage because I didnt feel confident with my previous garage. A few time my cars have failed on front to back brake pipes.

There's plenty of garages that don't charge for a retest if you take your car away for repairs and then come back. There are no rules forcing them to charge you for a retest.

You might want to look for another MOT station if you're not happy with their charges.

There's plenty of garages that don't charge for a retest if you take your car away for repairs and then come back. There are no rules forcing them to charge you for a retest.

You might want to look for another MOT station if you're not happy with their charges.

I think it can work out that way, but you would think that would be the default rules.

Unfortunately it can be a full fee, I've known a few garages charge the same as a full test for a retest.

Not good when some offer MOT tests for £30, maybe then you might think another full fee fair.

Not good when some offer MOT tests for £30, maybe then you might think another full fee fair.

Sorry, not sure I follow what you mean with this post.

To clarify, the garage I use charges £35 for an MOT, any necessary repairs I take the car away and carry out myself. As long as I return within a fortnight the retest is free.

Take it to Vaux tyres in town next time. They are spot on, professional and wont have your trousers down.

Sorry, not sure I follow what you mean with this post.

To clarify, the garage I use charges £35 for an MOT, any necessary repairs I take the car away and carry out myself. As long as I return within a fortnight the retest is free.

The Government sets the maximum price for MOT tests. Currently it is set at £54.85 for cars.

I have seen MOT tests advertised for £30, so a retest fee might not work out much more expensive.

I have just paid £40, there seems to be quite a lot of freedom for garages to charge what they want. Mine failed on rear brakes, bottom ball joint n wipers.

Bottom ball joint is seriously worn, I wonder if it was missed lass time, I have only done 4,000 miles.