MOT retest fees

The Government sets the maximum price for MOT tests. Currently it is set at £54.85 for cars.

Yes

I have seen MOT tests advertised for £30, so a retest fee might not work out much more expensive.

I have just paid £40, there seems to be quite a lot of freedom for garages to charge what they want.

Like I said, mine charges £35 for a test and no charge for a retest, I can't fault that.

As consumers and customers we have the power to do a little homework and go elsewhere if we're not happy with what we're getting, it's awesome!

Mine failed on rear brakes, bottom ball joint n wipers.

Bottom ball joint is seriously worn, I wonder if it was missed lass time, I have only done 4,000 miles.

It may be that it was starting to wear last time but the tester decided it wasn't bad enough to fail (in which case they should at least have written an advisory on your last MOT cert).

It could be that the rubber boot has been split or even missing for some time and the balljoint corroding. This increases the rate of wear greatly.

Or they could have indeed missed it last time!

"You only need a partial retest if you leave the vehicle at the test centre for repair and it’s retested within 10 working days. There’s no fee for this."

The rules try to persuade you to use the same garage for any work to be done; surely this encourages the garage to fail your car in order to get work.

Most places don't charge for a partial retest anyway. More info on retesting here.

http://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

Edited by Dardandec