Drinking water and (careless?) driving..

Just curious as to peoples' opinions on drinking bottled water (or other soft drink) while driving (I also have another question I might ask later).

In the eyes of the law it can be considered careless driving when doing so in a school zone, driving though a pedestrian crossing, negotiating a junction or roundabout etc.

It is usually not considered careless driving to have a swig while you are driving on straight, open roads with average traffic.

As far as I'm concerned I'm happy with the above and common sense prevails, have a short sip when it's safe to do so.

Edited by RootsBooster

I didn't know that it is treated differently depending on the road conditions. Is that official police guidance?

It is at the officer's discretion, obviously if they feel you were committing an offence they have to be able to back it up with something, they would have to be able to explain how they thought you were being careless. The examples I gave were how a police officer I know explained it to me.

There's no law in itself against eating/drinking/smoking while driving, the 'careless driving' territory is down to judgement, which is why I started the thread.

Loads of stuff here... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4788910.stm

here... http://www.rac.co.uk/community/blog/rac-blog/december-2012/driving-myths-your-questions-answered

..and on the rest of the internet

It's down to officers discretion and then down to the CPS if you push it that far.

Since the CPS won't prosecute a case unless there is a realistic prospect of prosecution the officers evidence needs to be pretty decent.

It's down to officers discretion and then down to the CPS if you push it that far.

Since the CPS won't prosecute a case unless there is a realistic prospect of prosecution the officers evidence needs to be pretty decent.

... Which is exactly why I asked the question, it's at the officers' discretion so I'm asking what forum folks' opinion is (if it were at their discretion).

... Which is exactly why I asked the question, it's at the officers' discretion so I'm asking what forum folks' opinion is (if it were at their discretion).

It might be ok on an open road, but I would check my mirrors first ;)

Drinking tea or coffee, that is on the next level.

Just curious as to peoples' opinions on drinking bottled water (or other soft drink) while driving (I also have another question I might ask later).

In the eyes of the law it can be considered careless driving when doing so in a school zone, driving though a pedestrian crossing, negotiating a junction or roundabout etc.

It is usually not considered careless driving to have a swig while you are driving on straight, open roads with average traffic.

As far as I'm concerned I'm happy with the above and common sense prevails, have a short sip when it's safe to do so.

I'd agree with that.

If it's safe to change a CD, program the sat nav or alter the aircon, then it's also safe to take a drink.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 20:34 ----------

Haven't there been cases in the past of people charged for eating an apple whilst stationary, and having a drink whilst waiting at traffic lights?

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 20:35 ----------

It might be ok on an open road, but I would check my mirrors first ;)

Drinking tea or coffee, that is on the next level.

If you've got the cafetiere out then it's probably wrong. If it's in a cup holder and has a spill proof lid, what's the difference?

If you've got the cafetiere out then it's probably wrong. If it's in a cup holder and has a spill proof lid, what's the difference?

Only when you have been stopped, can the details be seen, but if the PC gives you a ticket for £50 it is not going to be worth contesting.