Cycling question in the city

Does sheffield have adequate cycling routes and safe places to keep bike would you say? Compared to other cities

could you visit main attractions and do shopping without having bike half inched?

I'm new to city living and wondered how it works

Stop at red lights, dont weave like a drunkard, keep as left as you can so as not to disrupt other faster moving road users, dont cycle on the paths unless they are designated cycle routes, dont make unpredictable manoeuvres and expect drivers to use the Force in order to tell which direction youre intending to go. Buy a very good cycle lock

Job done :)

Here's some better advice:

Never hug the kerb. That's rule one of road positioning on a bicycle. You need to be further out into the road, sometimes right in the middle of the traffic stream. Less assertive cyclists worry that being further out may put them in the way of the traffic. It won't: you are the traffic. Being in the traffic stream helps you to get treated like traffic.

It then explains as to why this advice is worth following:

It can feel safer to ride in or near the gutter. It isn't safer. It vastly increases the chances of drivers buzzing past you with inches to spare. You'll have to contend with drains, cambered surfaces, and debris like broken glass that has been 'swept' to the edge of the road by the action of car tyres. And you're less likely to be seen at all by drivers.

The commonest type of car-cyclist collision is the 'Sorry, mate, I didn't see you' variety. You must register in a driver's field of vision. You'll do that best by cycling where they are looking. Drivers look where their vehicle will be in the next few seconds, which is to say: ahead of them. They pay much less attention to people and objects in their peripheral vision.

Initially, you may feel exposed exposed riding further out from the kerb. But it's very rare for cyclists to get rear-ended by drivers.

Being safe is being seen – and forcing drivers to react to your presence.

The article is worth reading.

Another piece of advice that I'd give is that, never lock an expensive bike up in public, if you need to regularly lock a bike up in public, use a cheaper bike for those type of journeys.

I think the answer to the question is no, because there are too many people with attitudes like Timehs around!

JFKs advice is sound, assertive riding is something you're trained to do as a motorcyclist but applies equally, if not more so because of the speed differential between cyclists and traffic. I see a lot of cyclists on country roads riding two-abreast though, which while assertive seems to put themselves at more risk than being single file!

I would hate to cycle on the city roads though because it's dangerous and unpleasant!

I think the answer to the question is no, because there are too many people with attitudes like Timehs around!

JFKs advice is sound, assertive riding is something you're trained to do as a motorcyclist but applies equally, if not more so because of the speed differential between cyclists and traffic. I see a lot of cyclists on country roads riding two-abreast though, which while assertive seems to put themselves at more risk than being single file!

I would hate to cycle on the city roads though because it's dangerous and unpleasant!

Too busy? I see sheff has got a one way system.

Too busy? I see sheff has got a one way system.

If you are just talking about inner city cycling, then perhaps, but in general Sheffield is a pig to bike around. Poor state of the roads, horrendously stupid road design that is completely unfriendly for cyclists and cycling paths that run along for 100 meters in a place where they AREN'T needed only to disappear where they ARE needed.

If you are just talking about inner city cycling, then perhaps, but in general Sheffield is a pig to bike around. Poor state of the roads, horrendously stupid road design that is completely unfriendly for cyclists and cycling paths that run along for 100 meters in a place where they AREN'T needed only to disappear where they ARE needed.

You don't recommend cycling as a mode of transport?

It's funny how little the council do to provide for cyclists when in other cities like York cycling is a priority

It's funny how little the council do to provide for cyclists when in other cities like York cycling is a priority

As someone who commutes to work 10 miles on my bike via the city centre, it's not too bad as long as you're sensible about things. When it's busy I use all the cycling lanes/paths whilst I go through the city centre, but when it's quiet around 9pm-ish it's nice to stretch my legs on the road.

Have you noticed that York is nearly flat and Sheffield isn't?