Cycling question in the city

Have you noticed that York is nearly flat and Sheffield isn't?

Sure, cycle lanes on hills isn't that weird.

---------- Post added 25-07-2015 at 16:02 ----------

As someone who commutes to work 10 miles on my bike via the city centre, it's not too bad as long as you're sensible about things. When it's busy I use all the cycling lanes/paths whilst I go through the city centre, but when it's quiet around 9pm-ish it's nice to stretch my legs on the road.

I guess with time you get to know the layout

1. Does sheffield have adequate cycling routes

2. and safe places to keep bike would you say?

3. Compared to other cities

4. could you visit main attractions

4a. and do shopping without having bike half inched?

5. I'm new to city living and wondered how it works

1 = No it doesn't

2 = No it doesn't

3 = Don't know about other cities.

4 = Yes

4a. = Yes, if you never leave your bike unattended.

5 = It works well. Despite the above, the bike is a better form of transport in a city.

Despite the keyboard warriors on here most people are okay and you will be fine. Take the good advice offered. One, of many, big advantages in Sheffield is that trips to the centre are easy and going home, where you have washing facilities, induces a good cardio workout which is rewarding.

If you are just talking about inner city cycling, then perhaps, but in general Sheffield is a pig to bike around. Poor state of the roads, horrendously stupid road design that is completely unfriendly for cyclists and cycling paths that run along for 100 meters in a place where they AREN'T needed only to disappear where they ARE needed.

Don't forget the hills, just as dangerous going down, as trying to go up. Unless you are a dedicated cyclist, and not just a bike rider, Sheffield is terrible for cycling (in my opinion)

Despite the keyboard warriors on here most people are okay and you will be fine. Take the good advice offered. One, of many, big advantages in Sheffield is that trips to the centre are easy and going home, where you have washing facilities, induces a good cardio workout which is rewarding.

Exactly this. My ride to down work takes little over 5 mins ( i couldn't drive it and find a parking spot in that time) , my twice a day trip up the hill back to Walkley takes 15 min but the doc says this is an ideal cardio workout.

Seems to be a lot of evidence now that short workouts are as good as long rides out. Longer gentler rides seem to be the trick for getting my blood pressure down though, seems to relax the body.

Cycling is up there with brisk walking for lower hypertension.

Stop at red lights, dont weave like a drunkard, keep as left as you can so as not to disrupt other faster moving road users, dont cycle on the paths unless they are designated cycle routes, dont make unpredictable manoeuvres and expect drivers to use the Force in order to tell which direction youre intending to go. Buy a very good cycle lock

Job done :)

Do NOT ride as far to the left as possible, as it will just invite incompetent drivers to squeeze past (in the face of oncoming traffic) much too close, when it is not safe to do so.

Edit. I see others have already answered this more thoroughly.

Edited by Eater Sundae

The cycle path network is confusing and poorly thought out but not impossible to use. I'd recommend 38mm tyres as they don't get stuck in tram tracks. Never had a problem with leaving bike locked up in public. Not as many cycle racks as in other cities though.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Do NOT ride as far to the left as possible, as it will just invite incompetent drivers to squeeze past (in the face of oncoming traffic) much too close, when it is not safe to do so.

Edit. I see others have already answered this more thoroughly.

No, youre wrong. A cyclist must stick to the curb like glue and never move more than 6 inch into the road.

If they do then they are fair game for learner drivers, taxi drivers and the occasional bus lol

Because of the general laziness of Sheffielders along with the hills and valleys most drivers don't experience being a cyclist and have very little empathy for cyclists and other drivers.

Alot of work has been done on the Trans Pennnine Trail so a cheap hybrid bike would be good for touring the town and the wonderful off road routes.

There are plenty of bike trails around and follow common sense security rules like use solid locks through wheels and frames and take your seat if it has a quick release tube.

The bike racks at Meadowhall near the Oasis should be made standard across Sheffield.

Timeh is a forum pleb and not worth listening or responding too

Edited by SportsTrophy

No, youre wrong. A cyclist must stick to the curb like glue and never move more than 6 inch into the road.

If they do then they are fair game for learner drivers, taxi drivers and the occasional bus lol

You are very wrong about this Timeh. A cyclist has as much right to be in the road as a car, except for motorways. It is precisely this attitude why I don't cycle in Sheffield. I tried for a few weeks, days maybe, and the times I got cut up, beeped at, had to jump away to avoid getting hit DESPITE having made eye-contact with the driver....