Cycling question in the city

No, youre wrong. A cyclist must stick to the curb like glue and never move more than 6 inch into the road.

If they do then they are fair game for learner drivers, taxi drivers and the occasional bus lol

I'm sure that this post will garner the attention that you desire.

I lived in Shoeburyness, Essex before I moved to Sheffield, and believe me, cycling around Sheffield is much easier. on the flat, you are pedalling all the time, but with hills, a bit more effort going up, and a bit of a breather downhill. Try it!

Don't forget the hills, just as dangerous going down, as trying to go up. Unless you are a dedicated cyclist, and not just a bike rider, Sheffield is terrible for cycling (in my opinion)

If you're competent and have a working bike, then you're OK. Low gears get you uphill easily, and, for the 'dangerous' downhills, you've got your brakes to make sure you don't go down too fast :)

The roads are bad- they're overwhelmed way past breaking point by the excessive numbers of motor vehicles and hence are slowed even further by the necessary traffic lights & bizarre one-way systems necessary to control them.

But, bikes are affected less by them due to the ability to filter, hop on paths etc, and, in rush hour conditions, bike is the fastest way across the city.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 11:32 ----------

But very little if any demand for them - unlike York where there are thousands of cyclists - due to it being flat.

There's thousands of cyclists in Sheffield as well.

Hills- some of us cyclists like them. Long steep stuff like Rutland road are fun to climb and, if your gears are working and you know how to use them you can choose to go up fast for exercise, or put it in low and arrive at the top sweat-free.

Other cyclists don't like them much, but, again, as long as they're got proper working bikes, they can go up easily in low gear. They may not see it as fun, but they'll get up easily.

But very little if any demand for them - unlike York where there are thousands of cyclists - due to it being flat.

Fair amount of cyclists in sheff no? Maybe more would cycle if provided for.

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 12:08 ----------

I lived in Shoeburyness, Essex before I moved to Sheffield, and believe me, cycling around Sheffield is much easier. on the flat, you are pedalling all the time, but with hills, a bit more effort going up, and a bit of a breather downhill. Try it!

Try cycling round milton keynes.

The landscape and layout of sheff is unique. It trully is a special city.

You are very wrong about this Timeh. A cyclist has as much right to be in the road as a car, except for motorways. It is precisely this attitude why I don't cycle in Sheffield. I tried for a few weeks, days maybe, and the times I got cut up, beeped at, had to jump away to avoid getting hit DESPITE having made eye-contact with the driver....

My tongue was firmly in my cheek when i posted that. In fact as i mentioned on a thread recently im now the proud owner of a cycle which im using frequently. I dont go onto main roads or in town when its busy as i dont have the confidence or the fitness yet but yeah, im having fun and getting fit :)

---------- Post added 26-07-2015 at 12:11 ----------

I'm sure that this post will garner the attention that you desire.

Ey, Be nice!

You are very wrong about this Timeh. A cyclist has as much right to be in the road as a car, except for motorways. It is precisely this attitude why I don't cycle in Sheffield. I tried for a few weeks, days maybe, and the times I got cut up, beeped at, had to jump away to avoid getting hit DESPITE having made eye-contact with the driver....

Pedestrians also have the right to share most roads, but you wouldn't know it. I have been doing a lot of running in Derbyshire recently, using quiet lanes to link up cross-country running routes. Motorists and individual cyclists have been very good in pulling out to pass (I run on the right-hand side, as recommended in the Highway Code) but I have now twice had problems with groups of cyclists, who have been remarkably reluctant to give me space. Last Sunday, one even cycling straight at me in an apparent attempt to force me into the hedgerow. Perhaps one of my old mates from the 'other' cycling thread :D ?

To answer the OP, I think the cycling infrastructure in Sheffield is awful and I would be happy to see it upgraded, with dedicated cycling lanes and properly planned and signed dual use pathways.

You don't recommend cycling as a mode of transport?
I would as it's quicker than any other form of transport around Sheffield and as a bonus provides exercise, so no need to waste time and money going to a gym. :thumbsup:

It's funny how little the council do to provide for cyclists when in other cities like York cycling is a priority
Funny isn't quite the adjective I'd use. ;)

I've often thought about buying a bike and cycling around, but a) I'm not with it in the morning at the best of times; and b) the roads look absolutely terrifying for cyclists. Ideally there should be much better routes and designated space for cyclists, but space is at a premium so I suppose it's not that simple. I mean they can't even keep the roads in a decent state for cars.

Fair amount of cyclists in sheff no? Maybe more would cycle if provided for

Compared to York as you did earlier, a fraction. I walk to and from work - Commonside to Upper Hanover Street - and see at best a couple a day. There are whole swathes in the N & E of the city where I can't recall seeing a cyclist

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 11:25 ----------

There's thousands of cyclists in Sheffield as well.

On anything like a regular basis? Where do they all hide?