Cycling question in the city

Does sheffield have adequate cycling routes and safe places to keep bike would you say? Compared to other cities

could you visit main attractions and do shopping without having bike half inched?

I'm new to city living and wondered how it works

Sheffield is by far one of the worst cites in this country to cycle in. There is very little provision for cyclists and the hills can often be offputting to the less fit cyclist. That said, there are plenty or bike racks and bikes don't tend to get knicked that often as far as I know.

Personally I love riding round the city and surrounding countryside because of the hills - cycling is dull without them.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 13:37 ----------

Stop at red lights, dont weave like a drunkard, keep as left as you can so as not to disrupt other faster moving road users, dont cycle on the paths unless they are designated cycle routes, dont make unpredictable manoeuvres and expect drivers to use the Force in order to tell which direction youre intending to go. Buy a very good cycle lock

Job done :)

I've read and re-read the OP but I can't see anywhere where it says "How do I ride a bike" that would make your obtuse answer make sense. Sounds like you just saw the word bike and thought "lets try and annoy some people by bringing out all the cycling cliches".

Edited by TimmyR

Compared to York as you did earlier, a fraction. I walk to and from work - Commonside to Upper Hanover Street - and see at best a couple a day. There are whole swathes in the N & E of the city where I can't recall seeing a cyclist
That's because most cycle commuters come from the more expensive suburbs. Which also contradicts what the anti cyclists numpties say when they rag on about 'poor' cyclists, who can't afford a car.

To stay on the OP's question: Cycling facilities are hit and miss in Sheffield but it's not too hard to get around with some notable exceptions. Not keen on the route from the centre to Catcliffe for instance, on a litter strewn and sometimes hostile backwoods path.

http://www.cyclestreets.net is a good place to start planning a journey.

And sure, Sheffield has hills but the other side of that is the possibility to take a not-too-long detour on a ride home taking in quiet country lanes and sights of the edge of the peak district

At least 50 people outside Boots at the bottom of Fargate watched a guy (presumably with a large pair of bolt croppers) cut my substantial lock off my bike and then ride off on it leaving the cut lock just hanging on the bike rack thing.

In that sense, bike security in this city, where guys go round tooled up to nick them and people watch them do it, is a joke.

Richard

At least 50 people outside Boots at the bottom of Fargate watched a guy (presumably with a large pair of bolt croppers) cut my substantial lock off my bike and then ride off on it leaving the cut lock just hanging on the bike rack thing.

In that sense, bike security in this city, where guys go round tooled up to nick them and people watch them do it, is a joke.

Richard

The same has been demonstrated (by the police in an experiment) to be the case in various places. Cambridge is the one I remember. They had a plain clothed officer walk up to a bike (they had put there earlier) with bolt croppers in plain view, cut the lock and cycle off carrying the croppers.

Nobody did a thing, not even phone the police.

I've read and re-read the OP but I can't see anywhere where it says "How do I ride a bike" that would make your obtuse answer make sense. Sounds like you just saw the word bike and thought "lets try and annoy some people by bringing out all the cycling cliches".

lol. Someone didnt read my subsequent posts :hihi:

Dont worry though, i think only i noticed your mistake ;)

---------- Post added 28-07-2015 at 13:50 ----------

The same has been demonstrated (by the police in an experiment) to be the case in various places. Cambridge is the one I remember. They had a plain clothed officer walk up to a bike (they had put there earlier) with bolt croppers in plain view, cut the lock and cycle off carrying the croppers.

Nobody did a thing, not even phone the police.

Take a look at this

http://www.nesta.org.uk/news/hands-my-bike-challenge-has-winner

I can leave mine anywhere. Its rubbish, no one other than me would want it but its only a temp one. Ive been told i could get a decent used one for under £200 from JE James.

I dont suppose anyone would recommend one thats good for road use?

lol. Someone didnt read my subsequent posts :hihi:

Dont worry though, i think only i noticed your mistake ;)

---------- Post added 28-07-2015 at 13:50 ----------

Take a look at this

http://www.nesta.org.uk/news/hands-my-bike-challenge-has-winner

Interesting. I watched it without sound, but I can't quite understand how securing the pedal and back wheel stops someone just lifting the bike at the rear and walking away with it?