Cycling question in the city

Interesting. I watched it without sound, but I can't quite understand how securing the pedal and back wheel stops someone just lifting the bike at the rear and walking away with it?

It comes with an armoured tether you can feed around a pole or something. Its not perfect of course but its a good idea. The tether would need to be tough though.

Interesting. I watched it without sound, but I can't quite understand how securing the pedal and back wheel stops someone just lifting the bike at the rear and walking away with it?
It comes with a cable that goes through one end to secure bike to an object. Looks like a lot of faff to remove even if you carry bike away.

Main issue I can see is how well the pedal section works with different pedal types.

Maybe its more a deterrent. The thief will have to carry a bike with this fitted where as a bike without this fitted can be ridden away

If your bike is worth anything, the tether will be cut and it'll be carried away into a nearby estate car or van.

This is a pedal with some very clever ideas added to it.

Some original thinking here. Deservedly hit its funding target.[/color]If you actually look at video there is a tether point and a cable included.

How long does it take to remove a couple of pedals, a couple of mins if you're not worried about bashing the bike around? The way to do this is to hide the GPS stuff away, but then it doesn't act as a deterrent.

Edited by JFKvsNixon

There are already hidden GPS transmitters available. You can get (to my knowledge) one disguised as a rear light (a working rear light), one that goes in the seat post, and one that goes in the handlebar stem.

A good idea, if I'd had one fitted when my bike was stolen from work I might have made it downstairs in time to stop them, or failing that could have given the data about location to the police.

---------- Post added 28-07-2015 at 14:45 ----------

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/spybikeseatpost.jsp

The deterrent could come from having a big sticker on it saying "Tracked by GPS" without any clue as to where exactly the tracker is located...

There are already hidden GPS transmitters available. You can get (to my knowledge) one disguised as a rear light (a working rear light), one that goes in the seat post, and one that goes in the handlebar stem.

A good idea, if I'd had one fitted when my bike was stolen from work I might have made it downstairs in time to stop them, or failing that could have given the data about location to the police.

---------- Post added 28-07-2015 at 14:45 ----------

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/spybikeseatpost.jsp

The deterrent could come from having a big sticker on it saying "Tracked by GPS" without any clue as to where exactly the tracker is located...

If you had the sticker then it wouldn't take long to find the GPS device and disable it.

Really? How much of the bike do you think they'd dismantle in the street in order to find it? And wouldn't it simply be easier to steal a different bike (similar principle to burglar alarms).

For that matter, a high decibel alarm, battery powered obviously, that triggered on vibration might work just as well.

Most thieves don't want to be trying to wheel a bike away or even cycle, whilst an alarm is blaring out, it draws too much attention.

---------- Post added 28-07-2015 at 15:04 ----------

Maybe one on the actual tether

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Target-TL112-Alarmed-Cable-Lock/dp/B00HIGTZTG/ref=pd_cp_229_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=062VYY8TVE6N8W97HJ22

And one securely fastened to the bike

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motion-Detector-Bike-Alarm-Waterproof/dp/B000MXERJK

Rechargeable would be better though, could plug it in whenever I parked at home in the garage.

Edited by Cyclone