Cycling question in the city

Getting back to the OP's question about risk of bike theft in an urban area, I can only speak from experience. In 18 years of urban cycling, the only thefts committed to/from my bike have been bar ends taken off at Preston railway station, light pinched off bike whilst locked at UEA Norwich. Everyone's getting a bit daily fail about the risk of getting your bike nicked.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Like locking wheel nuts on a car.

But presumably if you're just intent in removing them as quickly as possible, then a lump hammer and a crowbar will do the job, albeit causing quite a lot of damage.

No that will only bend axles and make them impossible to remove.

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 13:10 ----------

Getting back to the OP's question about risk of bike theft in an urban area, I can only speak from experience. In 18 years of urban cycling, the only thefts committed to/from my bike have been bar ends taken off at Preston railway station, light pinched off bike whilst locked at UEA Norwich. Everyone's getting a bit daily fail about the risk of getting your bike nicked.
Indeed, it's like advising everyone to be driving a cheap rust bucket of a car, because some nice cars get nicked.