Does WD40 really work?

Water Displacement true and the 40 is the 40th formula that was tried and worked.

I have just used it as a penetrating oil, and getting off stickers; its meant to have lots of uses.

Not sure to what extent displacing water useful, maybe just preventing rust. Grease is recommended for hinges, but I find ordinary oil free them up, not sure about long term.

Perhaps a good use for WD40 would be internal panels on almost new cars, but once rust has started, is it possible to stop it?

Perhaps a good use for WD40 would be internal panels on almost new cars, but once rust has started, is it possible to stop it?

No, it dries fairly quickly, but is good for electrical connections, although care must be taken not to dissolve the lubricating grease that is used inside many types of switches and controls.

Internal box sections on vehicles are usually treated with types of "Waxoyl" which is sprayed in under pressure, the base carrier (turps) dries off leaving a sticky wax coating over the metal.

Internal box sections on vehicles are usually treated with types of "Waxoyl" which is sprayed in under pressure, the base carrier (turps) dries off leaving a sticky wax coating over the metal.

I have just used oil in the past, I like to squirt it when I get the chance, but my cars are usually older, so I cannot say it works, just in theory.

I have just used oil in the past, I like to squirt it when I get the chance, but my cars are usually older, so I cannot say it works, just in theory.

I had an Austin 1100 and poured sump oil into the cills, some of it ran out through the seams. They still rusted from the outside and when it was up on the ramp being welded, the oil burst into flames!

it was designed for the space industry and it took 40 attempts to get it right hence "40" its main ingredient is fish oil and is the market leader.

"Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil. Fact: Consumers have told us for years that they've caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so".

"Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil. Fact: Consumers have told us for years that they've caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so".

(Fish oil)It must work, I have never heard a squeaky fish yet !!!:confused: