Does WD40 really work?

Don't use it inappropriately though, when you just need lubrication. On a mountain bike for example, you don't want to strip away the existing oils and replace them with a really thin solution.

That's a controversial subject.

Some cycle mechanics swear by WD40, as a degreaser to clean the drivetrain and then as a lubricant on the drivetrain. There are still many other cycle mechanics that wouldn't touch WD40 with a badge pole as a lubricant.

Personally I use a solvent to clean the drivetrain and a ceramic lubricant to keep it going.

WD40 is NOT a Cleaner or Solvent....

it's a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray, once sprayed, the hydrocarbon evaporates, leaving the oil behind...

this can let dirt and dust stick to it, and clog up things even more... :/

WD40 is NOT a Cleaner or Solvent....

it's a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray, once sprayed, the hydrocarbon evaporates, leaving the oil behind...

this can let dirt and dust stick to it, and clog up things even more... :/

Yeah, that's my point.... some people are using it as a cleaner and solvent (Which it is neither)

Hey I don't but as I said some professional cycle mechanics swear by it, others treat it like the plague. Also as others have said oils and lubricants also attract all sorts of grime and dirt, and if you don't keep things clean the drive train will soon deteriorate.

I've used it for years on all sorts of things..the water displacement part of the formula was used to help damp ignition systems,the old cars had distributors and ignition coils, damp would get into these parts and short the ignition a quick squirt of WD would stop the damp and the engine would usually start up..I always have a can or two in the garage and use it most for cleaning the old grease and oil off before refitting new parts.WD is not really a lubricant more of an assembly and penetrating fluid,oil or paraffin does a better job...

Yeah, that's my point.... some people are using it as a cleaner and solvent (Which it is neither)

It depends on what you're wanting to clean off. They certainly list it as a cleaner of many things, officially... http://wd40.com/files/wd40-2000.pdf

EDIT:

Love this one I just saw on the list - "Cleans peanut butter from shoestrings"

It depends on what you're wanting to clean off. They certainly list it as a cleaner of many things, officially... http://wd40.com/files/wd40-2000.pdf

EDIT:

Love this one I just saw on the list - "Cleans peanut butter from shoestrings"

I couldn't be bothered to read all that list, but it does do a splendid job of rejuvenating plastic car trim ... especially those spark-eroded black finishes, often found on wing mirrors and suchlike. Looks just like the factory finish instead of that tacky shiny finish from those horrible silicone sprays.