Lord Sewel - Failing to uphold standards in the Lords

It's not a criminal offence. :roll: At least where I live.

and where i live they don't sack folk from their job until they are convicted of a crime.:roll:

as far as i know being accused of something by a newspaper is not a criminal offence. At least where I live.

Edited by drummonds

and where i live they don't sack folk from their job until they are convicted of a crime.:roll:

as far as i know being accused of something by a newspaper is not a criminal offence. At least where I live.

Does it have to be a statutory crime? You can be sacked for going against company rules or possibly bringing the company into disrepute (carried out on company time)

Does it have to be a statutory crime? You can be sacked for going against company rules or possibly bringing the company into disrepute (carried out on company time)

but wouldn't that also require some sort of enquiry or trial. this is the uk where you need to be found guilty before you are guilty, not simply accused by a newspaper.

but wouldn't that also require some sort of enquiry or trial. this is the uk where you need to be found guilty before you are guilty, not simply accused by a newspaper.

I'm not sure the media has accused him of anything other than to report the incident in their columns. If they have falsely reported then he can take it up with the relevant paper. Considering the report was captured on video I guess he wont.

I'm not sure the media has accused him of anything other than to report the incident in their columns. If they have falsely reported then he can take it up with the relevant paper. Considering the report was captured on video I guess he wont.

that rather misses the point of not sacking someone on the basis of something only reported in a paper.