Zimbabwe's most famous lion, Cecil, is shot.

it is not like lions are an endangered species - although some people have been trying to make out that they are an endangered species, they are not on the endangered species lisr. In fact I think they are the only big cat that is NOT on the endangered species list. They aren't called the king of the jungle for nothing.

Around 10,000 years ago, the lion was the most widespread large land mammal after humans.

Estimates of the African lion population range between 16,500 and 47,000 living in the wild in 2002–2004, down from the 1950s 400,000. Primary causes of the decline include disease and human interference. Habitat loss and conflicts with humans are considered the most significant threats to the species.

it is not like lions are an endangered species - although some people have been trying to make out that they are an endangered species, they are not on the endangered species lisr. In fact I think they are the only big cat that is NOT on the endangered species list. They aren't called the king of the jungle for nothing.

200 thousand lions in Africa 50 years ago.

80 thousand lions in Africa 10 years ago.

20 thousand lions in Africa now.

They don't live in the jungle.

Ignorance is bliss.

they are not on the endangered species list. Years ago I had an African curio stall I used to take round festivals, which included hides of African animals like springboks and crocodile skins, not for sale but just for decorative purposes, to make the stall look better. Sometimes, these clowns would come up to the stall and say you can't have a crocodile skin, it's an endangered species. I'd just laugh at them. Crocodiles are not an endangered species either.

He was lured out of the reserve, shot with a bow and arrow then tracked for 40 hours before being shot, skinned and beheaded.

A Spanish hunter paid £35,000 to kill Cecil and was helped by a professional guide from The Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association.

It is estimated that Zimbabwe would have gained the £35,000 in just five days from tourists at a nearby lodge wishing to photograph Cecil.

His six cubs have been given up for dead as well.

But hey, some rich inadequate gets to hang a dead animal on their wall so that's alright.

What a piece of filth. I hope someone hunts him in the same manner as he hunted that poor Lion

They are called King of the Jungle because their mane is said to look like a crown

Edited by Timeh
Duh! Cant spell.