Warehouse on Spital Hill

There was a huge warehouse in the wicker goods yard. We spent hours playing inside after it closed down in the 60s we found a parachute and my mate put it on and jumped out of a window of course it didn't open and he broke his leg. It was set alight in the 70s and it's the biggest fire I've ever seen. We sat on a roof on Spital Hill to watch the fire brigade fight the blaze and the heat generated from it was unbelievable.

I meant to say the fire was in the 60s not 70s.

The warehouse was called S. Dewire and took up the bottom left hand side of Spital Hill. By driving through an archway at the bottom end you could access a car park in a large shed where their large fleet of vans were kept. Their vans were bright green with black front mudguards and bore no name on the side.

Besides housewares Dewire's also sold a wide range of products including clothing. Although they were wholesalers they were notorious for letting the general public into their premises.

The Lodge pub in its heyday looked really nice. Shame the building couldn't be restored along with the Lyon Works, but recently noticed that the roof of the Lyon Works was getting some attention the other day. On a side note if you do go near the formers works watch were you walk the ground is covered in used needles as the site popular with the local crackheads.

The Lodge pub in its heyday looked really nice. Shame the building couldn't be restored along with the Lyon Works, but recently noticed that the roof of the Lyon Works was getting some attention the other day. On a side note if you do go near the formers works watch were you walk the ground is covered in used needles as the site popular with the local crackheads.
the roof has to be put on appently to preserve the rest of the building. I was told recently that the building now belongs to "a former Sheffield boxer" who refuses to pay for the new roof and Sheffield council is footing the bill for the repairs. (whether they can claim this money back from the building owner who knows?)

the roof has to be put on appently to preserve the rest of the building. I was told recently that the building now belongs to "a former Sheffield boxer" who refuses to pay for the new roof and Sheffield council is footing the bill for the repairs. (whether they can claim this money back from the building owner who knows?)

I believe their is some fire damage at the site, what Iv been told the floors are really bad inside and unsafe to walk on.

There was a huge warehouse in the wicker goods yard. We spent hours playing inside after it closed down in the 60s we found a parachute and my mate put it on and jumped out of a window of course it didn't open and he broke his leg. It was set alight in the 70s and it's the biggest fire I've ever seen. We sat on a roof on Spital Hill to watch the fire brigade fight the blaze and the heat generated from it was unbelievable.

Hello hobinfoot,

Have you looked on http://www.picturesheffield.com and typed in 'wicker goods station' ? Amongs other pics there is one of the aftermath of the fire which, as you said in your later post, was in the 60s. Also, see my earlier post on this page with more pics.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR