Is being functional the only thing you care about in a car?

Do you care about more than the pure functionality of a car?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about more than the pure functionality of a car?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

Simple poll.

Do you care ONLY about functionality in a car, or do you care about other things as well.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 14:30 ----------

The answer is no, but the vast majority said yes.

I wanted a car good for taking my dog and general DIY, I got a blue Renault Scenic.

Altho I regard it as functional, its good to have a car that is almost unique to yourself. My current car has a dented rear end and a slightly different colour door. But I like it, which is important.

My last car was orange, a Dawoo Matiz, it being orange was its best attribute, it only had a 800cc engine. Value for money is a main thing too.

This Scenic only cost £215, I didnt really think I would be the top bidder at that price.

Functionality meaning?

The question contradicts itself, we know that, it's ambiguous.

if functionality means reliability and practical aspects then it's a main concern and I would think many people would agree it's a top priority.

I voted no however because it's clear their are other things to consider.

There's no contradiction, although it was deliberately ambiguous.

It might be easier to define certain characteristics as none functional though, than to exhaustively list all the functional characteristics.

For example aesthetics is none functional.

Speed beyond a certain level (that all modern cars reach) is none functional

As is power beyond a certain level (but maybe this one is not so clear, as you might want to tow a caravan and thus need more power than a fiat 500 can develop).

The ability to lower the roof is probably non-functional, it's not key to the car being a car and operating as a car.

A none exhaustive list of functional things might be

The ability to travel from A to B (and back again)

At least a certain number of seats

A reputation for reliability

Low maintenance costs (linked to the previous)

Some level of economy of use

A boot of a certain capacity

It wasn't some sort of trick question. I created this thread after someone on another thread said that the ONLY thing that mattered was functionality, and then went on to declare anyone who disagreed as wrong and an idiot (if not outright, then the implication was there). Maybe the words, more money than sense were used.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 15:49 ----------

Simple poll.

Do you care ONLY about functionality in a car, or do you care about other things as well?

The answer is no, but the vast majority said yes.

The answer for you?

There's no contradiction, although it was deliberately ambiguous.

It might be easier to define certain characteristics as none functional though, than to exhaustively list all the functional characteristics.

For example aesthetics is none functional.

Speed beyond a certain level (that all modern cars reach) is none functional

As is power beyond a certain level (but maybe this one is not so clear, as you might want to tow a caravan and thus need more power than a fiat 500 can develop).

The ability to lower the roof is probably non-functional, it's not key to the car being a car and operating as a car.

It wasn't some sort of trick question. I created this thread after someone on another thread said that the ONLY thing that mattered was functionality, and then went on to declare anyone who disagreed as wrong and an idiot (if not outright, then the implication was there). Maybe the words, more money than sense were used.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 15:49 ----------

The answer for you?

My answer is no but the vast majority answered yes to

Simple poll.

Do you care ONLY about functionality in a car, or do you care about other things as well.

you then said they didn't. Here

If people have read the question correctly, then hardly anyone cares about functionality...

Confusing...,So I asked you to clarify what functionality means because maybe a different answer will emerge if people actually knew what they were answering. Or one which suits the purpose of this poll at least.

---------- Post added 27-07-2015 at 15:00 ----------

Even taking into account the list would still answer no. Styling plays a small part in that decision.