Depression - What help is available?

I often think that man wasn't made for that which we have today; all day we are bombarded by man-made technology, shopping, food filled with chemicals. I often just think our brains are overloaded!

I know what you mean. I think we need to connect with nature as much as we can, and rediscover and feed our spiritual needs.

I know what you mean. I think we need to connect with nature as much as we can, and rediscover and feed our spiritual needs.

Completely agree, it's not good to have an over-agitated mind, sometimes we need to slow down and connect with ourselves.

Also, someone mentioned mindfulness earlier on this thread, there's a good podcast I listen to; it's from a Bhuddist center, but they're not at all dogmatic or anything. Anyhow, here it is: http://www.audiodharma.org/

Humans are nature.

Also, what do mean by 'spiritual'?

I think it means different things to different people.

Basically for me it means acknowledging that we are just a very small part in a vast and wonderous Universe, and trying to connect with that, becoming part of the whole. Meditation works for me.

I also believe in something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Call it God if you like, but you don't have to...

I think it means different things to different people.

Basically for me it means acknowledging that we are just a very small part in a vast and wonderous Universe, and trying to connect with that, becoming part of the whole. Meditation works for me.

I also believe in something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Call it God if you like, but you don't have to...

I look through a telescope, nothing beats looking at another planet or Galaxy to acknowledge a place in the Universe.

I am not going into details, but my motivation WAS to get better and every time I saw someone (medical) I aksed them why, when I was trying so hard to get better, were things getting worse. None of it made sense.

I went to the behavioural activation group run through IAPT and although that did change ways I viewed my unbelievably suicidal feelings for the good, it was my choice to come off medication. That act lifted the horrendous fog. I am not better yet but am now able to makes choices about how I react to the suicidal thoughts.

Each case is different.

I totally agreed with you. Meds not always the best or most sustainable option.

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 16:20 ----------

For sure. Lose yourself in nature can be an invigorating experience. Reconnect with the land the soil and the earth.

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 16:20 ----------

What it means to be a woman, or a man. Or just a human.

Overloaded with what?
Overload with technology, adverts, people wanting to know where you are ALL time time, having to check work emails out of work time. There are many ways we can become overloaded and I feel this is a big contributor to depression.

Overload with technology, adverts, people wanting to know where you are ALL time time, having to check work emails out of work time. There are many ways we can become overloaded and I feel this is a big contributor to depression.

I agree that a proportionate work/life balance is important.

Which people want to know where you are all the time, is that work related?

As for adverts, you've lost me there. I don't see the connection.

I agree that a proportionate work/life balance is important.

Which people want to know where you are all the time, is that work related?

As for adverts, you've lost me there. I don't see the connection.

Yes it's work related. People are losing their autonomy, often having to follow rigid procedures rather than their common sense. In some instances they are being treated more like slaves than employees. In some places, (like Amazon, I believe,) they are tracked electronically all the time they are at work. How do you suppose that makes them feel?

Also adverts just add to the idea that the acquisition of 'things' is of mega importance, or at the very least it's designed to make people want things. It all adds to the pressure.