CB radio and 10 metre band - help!!

Hi everyone

In the 1980's I was a cb radio fanatic. By the way if anyone remembers me I went under the handle "Barracuda".

I am wanting to return to the scene to spice up my life. Is anyone still on CB? How many channels are there now? When first legalised it was 40 on FM. I have seen rigs which emcompass now only CB but also 10 metre band.

Is 10 metre band the same as 2 metre band? What are the advantages of being on 10 metre band as opposed to 2 metre band? What about 40 metre band? I heard you need a licence (don't mind I will take the exams).

Is there anywhere I can learn and get my licence? How much do the exams cost? How much for a CB licence?

Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thank you

Hi everyone

In the 1980's I was a cb radio fanatic. By the way if anyone remembers me I went under the handle "Barracuda".

I am wanting to return to the scene to spice up my life. Is anyone still on CB? How many channels are there now? When first legalised it was 40 on FM. I have seen rigs which emcompass now only CB but also 10 metre band.

Is 10 metre band the same as 2 metre band? What are the advantages of being on 10 metre band as opposed to 2 metre band? What about 40 metre band? I heard you need a licence (don't mind I will take the exams).

Is there anywhere I can learn and get my licence? How much do the exams cost? How much for a CB licence?

Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Thank you

CB radio is licence free you just need a rig that can transmit in the correct power, channel and emission mode.

10m is part of the amateur radio allocation and you would need as a minimum a Foundation licence. I teach it and most people need about eight to twelve hours of study, plus an exam fee of about £30. That grants you access to the bands with 10W of power and commercial only rigs. If you want to build your own rigs, or use more power you need the higher licences. Intermediate is 50W, about 4 weekends of study and Advanced is 400W and 3 months of studying.

Best bet is to find your local amateur radio club and ask there.