Right I'm off to Sainsburys

One could be forgiven for thinking that now the manufacturers of fizzy drinks (supermarkets with their own brands included) can justifiably if they wish no longer sell drinks containing sugar that they will continue to sell the so called diet versions of those same drinks which to provide the same taste and 'sweetness' now instead contain massive amounts of artificial sweeteners.

Now before some of the less well informed start giving these 'sugar-free' chemical cocktail drinks to their children I suggest you look up what is being used instead of sugar.

There has been much said about many of the sugar replacements and it is very easy to see for yourself whether or not you want to consider which of those substances you are going to consume yourself and let your children consume.

If you claim to value your children then do read up on the long term effects of some of these substances/chemicals etc and what else they have been, or are being, used for.

The human body is able... in moderation.. to deal with sugar. Chemicals of course are perhaps another matter completely.

I mention no product by name so as to not upset anyone.

Edited by Tommo68

Just buy the sugar free ones and add five spoons of granulated sugar.

Revenge is sweet.)

If I could buy it without whatever is in it instead then maybe. I didn't need to read a label to know when I'd drank it. That's enough info :)

As it is, my local shop sells it, so I buy it there.

Purely to deter chavs from the store.

To be fair, there aren't many customers in there at all to deter, chav or not!

In my experience living here, they all go to Asda :thumbsup:

Just buy the sugar free ones and add five spoons of granulated sugar. .

Yes, sell products sugar-free so people can add as much, or as little as required, but then they seem obsessed with artificial sweeteners because they pile in these foul tasting chemicals whether the drink is "sugar-free" or not.

Yet they sell Halal meat. :roll:

Very good point. Don't hear much protest from the lefty luvvies against that though.

It must be a really troubling area for the leftist do-gooder. On the one hand they need to do everything and anything they can to promote multiculturalism and tolerance, but on the other hand, to satisfy this, they need to turn a blind eye to so many important issues - animal rights, gay rights, gender equality, fgm, etc.

Very good point. Don't hear much protest from the lefty luvvies against that though.

It must be a really troubling area for the leftist do-gooder. On the one hand they need to do everything and anything they can to promote multiculturalism and tolerance, but on the other hand, to satisfy this, they need to turn a blind eye to so many important issues - animal rights, gay rights, gender equality, fgm, etc.

Or maybe they can see through the hypocrisy of people who are more than happy to turn a blind eye to how our industrial farming methods treat animals, whilst using Halal slaughter as a stick to attack Muslims?

Or maybe they can see through the hypocrisy of people who are more than happy to turn a blind eye to how our industrial farming methods treat animals, whilst using Halal slaughter as a stick to attack Muslims?

Maybe, but then, what about the whole host of other issues (gender equality, gay rights, et al)? Being tolerant towards the intolerant - must cause some real inner trauma. I guess of all leftist causes, multiculturalism, for lefties at least, trumps them all.

Edited by WiseOwl182

Maybe, but then, what about the whole host of other issues (gender equality, gay rights, et al)? Being tolerant towards the intolerant - must cause some real inner trauma. I guess of all leftist causes, multiculturalism, for lefties at least, trumps them all.

Was it around 20 years ago that the right wing terrorist bombed the gay pub in London killing 3 and injuring more than 100?

I'm a long way from being a Leftist, but I'll try to answer your question.

I'd take people as I find them. So I'd criticise someone who was being intolerant towards homosexuality, but it would be neither here nor there that they were a Muslim and I'd certainly not hold other Muslims accountable for the intolerant ones behaviour.

Was it around 20 years ago that the right wing terrorist bombed the gay pub in London killing 3 and injuring more than 100?

I'm a long way from being a Leftist, but I'll try to answer your question.

I'd take people as I find them. So I'd criticise someone who was being intolerant towards homosexuality, but it would be neither here nor there that they were a Muslim and I'd certainly not hold other Muslims accountable for the intolerant ones behaviour.

Erm ... I'm sorry, you've lost me here. Remind me how right wing terrorists bombing a gay pub in London twenty years ago have anything whatsoever to do with Tesco taking sugary drinks off their shelves? :huh:

Sorry for appearing stupid.

Sainbury's have already done this with many products.

I like Robinson's orange but they now only stock sugar-free ones, which I don't like. The whole aisle is sugar-free so no choice there then.

Just buy a bag of sugar, then add whatever sates your palate.

---------- Post added 28-07-2015 at 22:42 ----------

I agree with your post about too many parents. I have said it a few times there are quite a few irresponsible parents around. However they and only they have the responsibility to change that.

My father died of alcoholic liver disease. Did I blame Wetherspoon's that he snook off to when he was told not to drink nope. I blame him fair and square the same as I blame the parents and it shouldn't be the responsibility of anyone else to ban things because some parents make incorrect decisions about their kids diet.

And Tesco's lame excuse I got today from a guy on twitter.

"From September, all the children's juice drinks we sell will have no added sugar in them. We want to help customers make healthier choices, so we have pledged to cut sugar from the food & drink on our shelves. "

Make healthier choices. They shouldn't need Tesco's to ban things for them to do that. They should be doing that as a matter of course.

But what exactly do they mean by 'no added sugar'.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS