Higher taxes or higher tax revenue?

Cut tax rates on the rich?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Cut tax rates on the rich?

• Yes, if it brings in more revenue.
    • Yes, whether it brings in more revenue or not.
    • No, even if it brings in more revenue.
    • No, it can't possibly bring in more revenue.

Publish it then.
Considering your highly-inconsistent positions, throwaway 'dodges' and, quite frankly, illogical posts on here lately, I don't really feel like it.

I never mind debating anything with like-minded posters capable of arguing their case constructively and objectively.

Here, I'm getting this ever stronger feeling of feeding a troll.

It's been fun, though :)

What should we do in your opinion?
Do whatever you like. You've just graduated to my ignore list, not as if it's going to bother me much. KTB :)

Again no opinion. Just conjecture. Its easy to be a critic. Hard to be an artist.

Are you avoiding the question for a reason?

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 13:50 ----------

Considering your highly-inconsistent positions, throwaway 'dodges' and, quite frankly, illogical posts on here lately, I don't really feel like it.

I never mind debating anything with like-minded posters capable of arguing their case constructively and objectively.

Do whatever you like. You've just graduated to my ignore list, not as if it's going to bother me much. KTB :)

He did go from seemingly debating seriously, to suddenly making outrageous, nonsense posts.

Are you avoiding the question for a reason?

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 13:50 ----------

He did go from seemingly debating seriously, to suddenly making outrageous, nonsense posts.

So what should we do? Its a question you havent answered yet.

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 13:59 ----------

Weve discussed laffer theory, i was asking about the op?

How is that trolling?

I voted already. Maximise revenue. Actually doing that is very complicated, I don't claim to be an economist who can say what exact tax rate is ideal. I'm pretty sure it's not 100% though (which is the question you're refusing to answer).

I do think the whole system needs an overhaul, the bureaucracy should be cut, tax credits should be abolished, it makes no sense to tax people and then give it back again, it's inefficient. NI should be abolished and put into income tax. Car tax should be abolished and put onto fuel duty. And there are a whole host of other simplifications that could be made.

Yes you have. You said that the Laffer curve was not real, and some kind of right-wing lie to justify top rate tax cuts. So you think the revenue maximising rate is 100% then?

Ive stated what i think the tax system / rates should be. You stated we shouldnt raise taxes for the rich and quoted the laffer theory.

I clearly dont agree with that.

You said that the Laffer curve was not real, and some kind of right-wing lie to justify top rate tax cuts. So you think the revenue maximising rate is 100% then?

Its about 70% on vehicle fuel, never hear about much avoidance, so its just about those that set the taxes, actually wanting to collect it.

People convert their vehicles to gas, that is one avoidance, its about those in charge wanting to enforce high taxes.

Conservatives do not want high taxes, so their "Laffer curve" would be much lower. The Laffer curve is not real science.

I voted already. Maximise revenue. Actually doing that is very complicated, I don't claim to be an economist who can say what exact tax rate is ideal. I'm pretty sure it's not 100% though (which is the question you're refusing to answer).

I do think the whole system needs an overhaul, the bureaucracy should be cut, tax credits should be abolished, it makes no sense to tax people and then give it back again, it's inefficient. NI should be abolished and put into income tax. Car tax should be abolished and put onto fuel duty. And there are a whole host of other simplifications that could be made.

Where did I state 100% to be the ideal higher tax rate?

I stated 80% but tbh i dont know exactly what the tipping point is.

I believe in higher taxation / higher spending. Tax reforms and a revision of hmrc. But then again i dont think labour caused the global recession. I think we were doing pretty well for years until the crash.

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 14:10 ----------

It wasnt far off point. Living standards increased. People had access to finance at low interest rates.

---------- Post added 31-07-2015 at 14:12 ----------

I think now, in the current situ we need to tax the masses of wealth accumulated at the top. It just seems like common sense considering in the last 5 years under austerity rule the gap between rich and poor hs widened dramtically. And will continue to do so for the next 5 years.

Are you even reading the thread? You've been asked several times what you think the effect of a 100% tax rate would be.

So you accept that there is a tipping point, despite having said that the laffer curve wasn't real.

Higher taxation and spending, big government. Can you give any examples of this working, or explain why it should work better than low tax and low government spending?

The Laffer curve is not real science.
Economy is not a STEM subject.

How many times...the Laffer Curve is a valid modelling tool, so say economists the world over. Laffer simply codified, quite elegantly, the elementary, millennia-old (and fundamentally steeped in human nature, greed) principle that "too much tax kills tax income": the truism underlying the curve is not a new theory or principle today, it wasn't in 1974, it's as old as the hills.