Higher taxes or higher tax revenue?

Cut tax rates on the rich?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Cut tax rates on the rich?

• Yes, if it brings in more revenue.
    • Yes, whether it brings in more revenue or not.
    • No, even if it brings in more revenue.
    • No, it can't possibly bring in more revenue.

Not really. The EU regulates VAT rates in the UK. It places limits on what VAT rates we can set.

Just a minimum limit actually.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 11:30 ----------

Apart from a reorganisation of hmrc systems id introduce a flat 80% tax rate on high income indivduals. A bit like it was in the 70s.

One example is football. We are smack bang in the middle of cuts and austerity yet wages are shooting up in football, direct from a private business, sky.

Under new rules sky would never have this profit, they would be forced to reinvest in grassroots game or taxed to the hilt. Either way the paying public would get a return!

I don't understand your comments about Sky.

Are you suggesting that you'd somehow stop all companies from making any significant profit? You realise that this would simply drive businesses out of the UK altogether, and that it would massively reduce tax income as it's levied on corporate profit.

What 'paying' public? Those paying for Sky TV? Those paying to watch football? Nobody makes you get sky or watch football. If they charge too much then people will stop paying.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 11:37 ----------

Yes maybe 80% is not enough.

You understand what happened the last time there was a tax rate like that? :huh:

You might accurately have said that the EU so far has little to do with taxation law, then I wouldn't have bothered to argue.
Do you really want to talk to me about accuracy?

The EU regulates VAT rates in the UK. It places limits on what VAT rates we can set.
Did you board your windows up before throwing them big stones? :hihi:

With the benefit of hindsight, I'll grant you that I could have better phrased post #71, which was meant to relate to income taxation (the topic of the thread) as I was discussing personal bank accounts with RonJeremy. I shouldn't underestimate the depth to which you'll sink to paint the EU negatively again, rest assured :)

Just a minimum limit actually.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 11:30 ----------

I don't understand your comments about Sky.

Are you suggesting that you'd somehow stop all companies from making any significant profit? You realise that this would simply drive businesses out of the UK altogether, and that it would massively reduce tax income as it's levied on corporate profit.

What 'paying' public? Those paying for Sky TV? Those paying to watch football? Nobody makes you get sky or watch football. If they charge too much then people will stop paying.

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 11:37 ----------

You understand what happened the last time there was a tax rate like that? :huh:

No, im not saying businesses should be stopped ftom making profit.

You're complaining about them spending it though, which is distributing it...

The normal means of distribution would be dividend of course, to the shareholders, but what makes you think that Sky retain an unusually large amount of profit? Have a look at the cash pile that Apple, Google, Microsoft, General electric, Samsung, and so on, hold.

Apple alone holds a larger amount of cash than a medium sized countries annual economy.

You're complaining about them spending it though, which is distributing it...

The normal means of distribution would be dividend of course, to the shareholders, but what makes you think that Sky retain an unusually large amount of profit? Have a look at the cash pile that Apple, Google, Microsoft, General electric, Samsung, and so on, hold.

Apple alone holds a larger amount of cash than a medium sized countries annual economy.

?????????????

Let me try again.

You're complaining about them spending it though, which is a form of distributing it... In this case on football it appeared.

Perhaps you're just not making sense and that's why I'm struggling to follow what your objection really is.

You coupled a complaint about players wages with a complaint about Sky having retained too much profit, and some vague hand waving about how it shouldn't be allowed.

Non of which made a lot of sense.

Let me try again.

You're complaining about them spending it though, which is a form of distributing it... In this case on football it appeared.

Perhaps you're just not making sense and that's why I'm struggling to follow what your objection really is.

You coupled a complaint about players wages with a complaint about Sky having retained too much profit, and some vague hand waving about how it shouldn't be allowed.

Non of which made a lot of sense.

And again ?????

Can you explain what you were talking about or not?

---------- Post added 30-07-2015 at 15:10 ----------

One example is football. ... wages are shooting up in football...

Under new rules sky would never have this profit...

Explain... :roll: