Causes of Privatisation

Solar panels generate around 20% of their normal output, on a cloudy day.

Is that supposed to be impressive?

Power stations generate 100% of their output all the time.

What about at night? Especially in winter when the nights are long and the demand for energy is high.

That doesn't even make sense.

A power station rated at 1GW will produce 1GW continuously.

A wind farm rated at 100MW will produce somewhere between 0W and 100MW depending on what mood the Venti are in.

A solar panel rated at 1kW will produce somewhere between 0W and 1kW usually inversely correlated with demand.

Other countries have allowed private sector to invest in power stations, fracking, wind farms, etc. The UK has avoided allowing them to invest for 40 years so the successful foreign companies are now investing in the UK but still they find that the UK doesn't want them to invest.

Vote for nuclear power and fracking.

UK rail fares aren't the most expensive in Europe.

http://www.seat61.com/uk-europe-train-fares-comparison.html#.VbiJovlVhBc

Sorry, but what is that post? Is that yours? There is a bit of a problem with it, namely that when people WANT to use the train, British trains are far more expensive than almost all European counterparts. Looking at the middle-distance is useless in this case, check out the commuter lines, particularly around London, and compare those with commuter lines around similar cities, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Roma.

Not that I have anything against privatisation, I do find bad research like this annoying.

A power station rated at 1GW will produce 1GW continuously.

A wind farm rated at 100MW will produce somewhere between 0W and 100MW depending on what mood the Venti are in.

A solar panel rated at 1kW will produce somewhere between 0W and 1kW usually inversely correlated with demand.

You're still not making any sense. You're using a few big words but you don't seem to understand what you are talking about.

I'll help you. About now, the UK national grid needs about 33GW of electricity. What do you think it will need at 9pm tonight? Higher or lower?

Edited by Eric Arthur

British trains are far more expensive than almost all European counterparts.

Where I live a 5 mile trip on the train is much cheaper than the bus. Never used trains abroad, but booking online gives big discounts on longer journies.

Our trains are well used, that means popular, so they must be doing something right.

Ticket prices could be simpler, why should it cost a fortune if you dont pre-book?

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 13:24 ----------

Sorry, but is anybody else having trouble following what I'm saying?

I have been making allowances ;) You obviously see things in black and white.

There is a place for everything, non-profit making railways, telecoms and energy production, why not. It should be encouraged.

Should an individual be banned from owning a wind turbine, they have been around for hundreds of years. Planning permission for a dirty power station, no way, more solar please.

I'll help you. About now, the UK national grid needs about 33GW of electricity. What do you think it will need at 9pm tonight? Higher or lower?

Demand for electricity gets up to almost 60GW at times.

At 9pm last night it was 32.5GW. Probably be similar tonight. Not going to get much out of solar panels at 9pm are we?

Last night it got down to 23GW, but not until much later than 9pm.

This will all get much worse when domestic gas is turned off and we're required to use electricity for home heating.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/68816/216-2050-pathways-analysis-report.pdf

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 13:33 ----------

Where I live a 5 mile trip on the train is much cheaper than the bus. Never used trains abroad, but booking online gives big discounts on longer journies.

Our trains are well used, that means popular, so they must be doing something right.

Ticket prices could be simpler, why should it cost a fortune if you dont pre-book?

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 13:24 ----------

I have been making allowances ;) You obviously see things in black and white.

There is a place for everything, non-profit making railways, telecoms and energy production, why not. It should be encouraged.

Should an individual be banned from owning a wind turbine, they have been around for hundreds of years. Planning permission for a dirty power station, no way, more solar please.

Okay. But get used to spending more on electricity than rent.

Edited by unbeliever