What do people think of living in crookes?

Its a lifestyle thing. Weighing up what you see yourself doing on a day to day, week to week basis. I always find compromises have to be made but aslong as i can live with that e.g. commute. Thats fine.

Absolutely. And this coupled with budget are probably the key things to consider.

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 12:11 ----------

A very quick bit of research on rightmove indicates that a 3 bed terrace in Crookes will go for between 160 and 210 ish. There are a few outliers above and below this, but the bulk seem to be 160 to 200.

Similar properties in Lower Walkley are about 100 to 125 (again, there are outliers above and below).

Meersbrook (which I don't know) not many choices, but around 140 - 150.

Commonside 85 to 135

Walkley (not lower) 125 to 170

Upperthorpe 125 to 165

I'll stop now :-) But that just goes to show how prices change within a few miles in these areas close to the city centre...

I live not far from the Western Rd/Cobden View area OP asks about. There's a lot less students here than there used to be . The road I live on has only a handful compared to a few years ago. Students getting pickier about properties and landlords not willing to up their game find properties not letting. More families moving in.

When we were buying we looked here, Walkley, Hborough, Banner Cross, Ecclesall Rd area. We settled on Crookes because easy walking distance to hospitals/uni/City Centre, had nice high street without feeling too built up and because of ease of getting to countryside and Bole Hills is on your doorstep. Decent houses will sell quickly if you need to move, as lots of professionals at uni/hospitals etc so there's always a demand.

There is an abundance of the 52 bus. One every few minutes. Often 4 at once.

Yes it is hilly and windy but I happen to like hills and fresh air. It does tend to be a few degrees colder than elsewhere and in the winter there will be snow in Crookes and nowhere else but you can bond with your neighbours as you trek through the snow.

Downside, not loads of great pubs but not too far to Commonside for Closed Shop or to Walkley for the Blake if you like real ale. Restaurants ok but as other have said, not too far to Broomhill etc.

Do you know the western road, conduit road areas?

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 11:21 ----------

Great insiders view. This forum is fantastic! Ty!

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 11:24 ----------

Its a lifestyle thing. Weighing up what you see yourself doing on a day to day, week to week basis. I always find compromises have to be made but aslong as i can live with that e.g. commute. Thats fine.

I know someone who lives on Conduit Road, but not very well and I've only been once. They like it though, easy to get to the Uni.

I live not far from the Western Rd/Cobden View area OP asks about. There's a lot less students here than there used to be . The road I live on has only a handful compared to a few years ago. Students getting pickier about properties and landlords not willing to up their game find properties not letting. More families moving in.

When we were buying we looked here, Walkley, Hborough, Banner Cross, Ecclesall Rd area. We settled on Crookes because easy walking distance to hospitals/uni/City Centre, had nice high street without feeling too built up and because of ease of getting to countryside and Bole Hills is on your doorstep. Decent houses will sell quickly if you need to move, as lots of professionals at uni/hospitals etc so there's always a demand.

There is an abundance of the 52 bus. One every few minutes. Often 4 at once.

Yes it is hilly and windy but I happen to like hills and fresh air. It does tend to be a few degrees colder than elsewhere and in the winter there will be snow in Crookes and nowhere else but you can bond with your neighbours as you trek through the snow.

Downside, not loads of great pubs but not too far to Commonside for Closed Shop or to Walkley for the Blake if you like real ale. Restaurants ok but as other have said, not too far to Broomhill etc.

Could also swing down to clarkehouse rd botanical gardens from lower end 20 min walk says maps. Walk back is a killer.

---------- Post added 29-07-2015 at 13:03 ----------

I know someone who lives on Conduit Road, but not very well and I've only been once. They like it though, easy to get to the Uni.

Yes, handy for city, hospitals and of course uni. Although my uni days are ove it is quite pleasant to be in a collegiate part of town.

I spent 8 years up there and loved every second of it, only moved becuase we wanted a bigger house for the growing family.

The convenience of everything being so close to the city centre is great, transport links- great, shop variety is still good along with a good selection of restaurants.

Yes it does get a little scruffy on some roads due to the students and you do pay more than other areas but i think its worth paying.

• 3 months later...

I was born in a back to back terrace house, address 7court 14 Ashford Terrace. I loved and Love Crookes even though I moved away in the 60s. I still visit at least 3 times a month. I will always make my way back to my roots.

The fresh air,the snow and wind is the corrector of Crookes and the feeble triers don't stay in Crookes for too long. If I wan't to move from my second love, Loxley I would be back into Crookes.

Edited by Derek B

Whats it like and what kind of people live in crookes? Are some roads better for professionals?

There are no "professional" areas in Crookes anymore. The area is completely student accommodation these days.

Don't get me wrong - it is still a nice place, the majority of students that live there are very well behaved.

There are no "professional" areas in Crookes anymore. The area is completely student accommodation these days.

Don't get me wrong - it is still a nice place, the majority of students that live there are very well behaved.

I disagree, I live above crookes road and on my road (easily 150 houses) I would say less than 10% are students.

It's a good place to live, though a pain to get round in the winter. Crookes will have icy roads and pavements for perhaps one month of the year. Taxis and buses stop coming up the hill yearly.

I was brought up on St Anthony road and my folks still live there, there are no students, only retired people and professionals. I moved away because I couldn't afford to buy in Crookes