Anyone lived in kelvin flats?

• 2 weeks later...
i wa raised on kelvin flats,am sure they wa haunted.any1 lived there b4 they b4 they wa pulled down?

I'm new to the forum, but it is very interesting. I did go to Firth Park Grammer, 1963-1968. I do remember the sasparilla shop on Langsett road and went there many times with my cousins who lived in the stree opposite. I do remember the piklet / oatcake shop in Hillsborough. I did live in the Kelvin Flats, top floor, 118 I think. We were one of the first families to move in there as our house in King James street was pulled down. (opposite Walkley School). I moved out of the Kelvin in 1973 to go to live in Australia. My parents still lived there though. I have lived in Australia ever since but did visit Sheffield in 1981. At the moment, I am working in Kuwait and, I really enjoy remembering old times via this forum.

• 10 months later...
My partner lived on Kelvin Flats around 30 years ago up to being middle teens. He often talks about the times he had with all his mates. If you lived on there during the 70s or 80s please reply.

what is your partners name i used to play on there in the early 70s because my grandma used to live on kelvin

For all of you that want to see what they looked like try this link http://mysheffield.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=742 They look just like Park Hill I M O.

no, they are similar, if not identical, internally to the Hyde Park and Park Hill's (PHF)layout.

Externally the only similarity is the way the balconies were arranged, (both sides, the public access-landings, and the private balconies) the windows were the same as the ones on Hyde Park, oriented lengthways on the wall (landscape), where PHF had windows that were oriented top-to-bottom (portrait). Kelvin was all constructed in a uniform grey-ish material,(as was HPF) PHF was multicoloured (each landing level was made from a different colour brick, darkest at the bottom to a light tan brick at the top)