The Hermitage, London Road

Andy C

Have the Cremorne jumped ship now? Went in last night after Beer Engine and it was called The Clubhouse. Beer was their own branded one (:gag:) or Saltaire pale which was similar. Very quiet and cold. Just a few in watching football.

Yes looks like it.

Didnt last long did it!

Looks like its mainly a sports bar now.

Really need to build a following outside match day as thats the only time I saw it really busy.I have always liked the layout of the pub but its a bit isolated where it is.

Drum Roll Please . . . . . .

Hello all, we have some news for you!

We now have new ownership of the Hermitage! The Hermitage is now The Clubhouse Sheffield! Some of you may know it as the Scholar and R & R bar from years gone by.

We will have a focus on 9 specific projects to improve your experience. These include improved ale, beer and wine quality and range without spoiling the excellent value the bar is known for.

Vastly improved AV system which will include 20 new display screens and three independent audio zones, so you can have the sound on to listen to the less catered for sports. Improved, outside area. Complete refurbishment of all three toilet areas. Entrance way flooring improvements. Upstairs mezzanine bar.

Match day special food & drink offerings. Great house cask options at 2.50 a pint. New pool table already installed.

Thanks again,

https://www.facebook.com/TheClubhouseSheffield/

Do you have any idea which gluten free beer it is? Thanks.

Without knowing for sure I'd guess at Against the Grain as that seems ubiquitous. However, some 'Spoons do stock Brewdog Vagabond in bottles. Worth a go if you like your beer hoppy.

Without knowing for sure I'd guess at Against the Grain as that seems ubiquitous. However, some 'Spoons do stock Brewdog Vagabond in bottles. Worth a go if you like your beer hoppy.

Thanks. Really not a fan of Against The Grain but quite like the Brewdog one. The best I've found so far have been Celia and Estrella Duomo (sic).

Thanks. Really not a fan of Against The Grain but quite like the Brewdog one. The best I've found so far have been Celia and Estrella Duomo (sic).

Don't blame you. Wold Top stuff is not good. I was surprised to see Vagabond even in the Spoons in Barnsley. And on tap at the Cavendish too. Never tried the Estrella. Only thing I've seen of theirs in the UK is Damm. The Bock you get in Spain is much better. I had a Dogfish Head strawberry saison beer that was gluten free whilst on holiday. Wasn't half bad, but the name escapes me and the chances of getting Dogfish Head in this area are vanishingly small these days. Definitely a growing market for this type of beer tho.

Do you have any idea which gluten free beer it is? Thanks.

It's actually the St Peter's ale, or it was the last time I was in a few weeks ago. It's the one in an olde style medicine bottle.

The Tesco at Spital Hill stocks i, along with the Brewdog and Estrella ones.

The shop in Moor Markets currently stocks 5 GF beers - Brewdog, Wold Top and a couple of others.

Filthy Gorgeous (organic shop) on Abbeydale Road has some, but can't remember the names. One of them is a Belgian one in amber and blonde.

There's also a Czech beer - Bernard Pivo (or something like that) - I've had it at the Pivni bar in York, and I'm buying some online for new year. It's quite pricey but really nice.

What would you say is the best you've had? My mate has a pub and I might try and convince him to get something different in. He has St Martin's or something at the moment, not nice.

It's really a case of what you can get. The Danes seem to be pretty hot on gluten free right now with both Mikkeller and To-Ol doing gluten free versions of some of their popular beers, but how likely you are to pick them up wholesale is debatable. In this country I'm pretty sure First Chop do a decent gluten free range and they aren't bad. And a company called Greens have their beer brewed in Belgium so some quality rubs off there.