Agonising pain with shingles

Amitriptyline takes a couple of days to get into your system properly tandy, so don't despair that it's not working yet if you've only been taking it a day or two. However, you could still add in a gabapentin/pregabalin type drug into the mix that you're currently taking, so if it's not getting any better please do go back to see your GP when you can.

It's also worth bearing in mind that although this is counter-intuitive, wearing something tight fitting that creates compression on the area may result in less symptoms as long as it doesn't move across the surface of the skin while you're wearing it. I find this really helpful when I'm struggling with the nerve pains down my arm from my tumour- anything that moves across the skin makes the pain worse but a compression garment makes the nerve calm down even though it may hurt to put it on initially.

hi tandy

i had shingles about 10 years ago - on my ribs and it went right around my side to my spine - i will NEVER forget that pain. coedine was the only thing that worked with me - along with the antiviral stuff. i think a lot of people can find it itchy but it was just painful for me and i'm sorry to say it took me a long time to get over it as i had that thing after where you still get the pain even though the virus has gone. pester the docs this weekend (via 111 or whatever it is) if the pain relief isn't working as you really need to get whatever medication is going to help. i think gps are quite good on this as i think they do realise, with it being nerve pain, just how nasty it is

really hope you get better soon and they have caught the virus in time so the antiviral stuff works

Thank you so much for all the really helpful advice

I'm going to ring the 111 number in the morning if this dreadful pain remains the same

Feels like someone is prodding my side with a red hot poker, it's that bad

Kind regards