Amey on Crookes

I got quite enthusiastic when I saw the yellow signs go up on the lamp posts saying they were doing highway improvement work from the 27th july for five days.

Anyway there they were on Monday, doing the pavements, was quite disappointed, but thought at least they are here. Tuesday they were here doing some more of the pavements from Heavygate up. Wednesday came, no Amey, same Thursday same today. That is the five days up. So for all the yellow signs and disruption, they have done about 500 yards of pavement.

Don't suppose anyone knows when they will be back?

I got quite enthusiastic when I saw the yellow signs go up on the lamp posts saying they were doing highway improvement work from the 27th july for five days.

Anyway there they were on Monday, doing the pavements, was quite disappointed, but thought at least they are here. Tuesday they were here doing some more of the pavements from Heavygate up. Wednesday came, no Amey, same Thursday same today. That is the five days up. So for all the yellow signs and disruption, they have done about 500 yards of pavement.

Have you thought of contacting Amey? They might know.

They do drainage, kerbs, street lighting, pavements and road surface all in different visits. We had the drainage done over a year before any of the other parts, then nothing happened for ages then everything else happened over a 3 month period. With our street the pavements happened after everything else.

I would think that the yellow signs were for kerb and pavement work rather than the road surface itself, and you'll get different signs at some point in future for the road surface work.

Trying to get in touch with Amey is a nightmare. It takes too long, which is the reason people post on forums instead.

This week they've replaced some kerb stones on my road, when I got home my drive was blocked so I drove round, found Amey and got them to come and open it up so I could park. Which they did. Later in the day the barriers etc were back with a pile of muck/stones. I called them, tried to get through to the name I'd been given previously, couldn't. When I did get through (after about an hour) they said they'd send someone out, they didn't. So later on i got a shovel out and moved it myself.

The managers/supervisors should be making daily visits to inspect the work and organise what's happening. What they're doing in essence is simple, they're just making it hard.

The guys on a price per hole etc seem to work hard. Some of the other Amey employees seem to spend more time sat in their vans drinking tea than working. There must be so much slack and inefficiency in that company, it needs reviewing as ultimately its us (the council tax payers) who pay for it.

For some areas they seem to diligently make updates on twitter, for other areas there's nothing and not even one of those yellow notices to warn residents more disruption is imminent.

I don't mind a bit of inconvenience if the result is positive, with the work that's been done I fear it won't last long. The work looks poor quality and generally lacks been checked by a spirit level etc..

I agree with Jon26, I don't mind the inconvenience but I would like to see them finish a job they started. They have now altered the yellow signs they are starting again on the 6th August which is a Thursday, I presume they wont be working the week end, so that is another two days. Its going to take a long time to get it done if they are only working two days at a time. And as for contacting Amey, my blood pressure couldn't take it.

The problem is , with Council contractors , it seems that no one from the Council monitors them , there doesn't appear to be any quality control . If we were having work done , perhaps on our homes , we would be keeping a close eye on progress and the standard of work . Nearby where I live they have covered the pavements with a slurry of tarmac , it is uneven , worse than it was before and it already has weeds and grass growing through it .

Edited by BIGLIL
punctuation

The problem is , with Council contractors , it seems that no one from the Council monitors them , there doesn't appear to be any quality control . If we were having work done , perhaps on our homes , we would be keeping a close eye on progress and the standard of work . Nearby where I live they have covered the pavements with a slurry of tarmac , it is uneven , worse than it was before and it already has weeds and grass growing through it .

The slurry of tarmac you mention, Beech Hill Road as a the same, its horrible, looks a complete mess. Its been slopped allover the place.

At first I thought it was the 'undercoat', but the level is to the top of kerbs and edge stones, so looks like its the finished topcoat.

I wonder why its not asphalted?