School excersise book

Definitely mucky grey that. Didn't you have any nice wallpaper to back it with?

Sorry just remembered that was compulsory in secondary eduction not for infants

Edited by Dreb48
Missed text

You're right handypandy. The school ones were mucky blue, green, brown or grey as I remember.

You only had a red Silvine if you bought it yourself from Andrews !

There was also a slogan on the back in italics:

"Look both ways before crossing the road"

Edited by trastrick

As late as the 1970s old Fred Croft, the builder in Dykes Hall Road (1900-1997) sold cement by the peck..:)

I remember having to get a peck of Pink Thistle plaster, or a peck of fire brick cement, from Parkers Builders Merchants on Silver Street head. Or a hundredweight of sand (12 shovels full, No 10 size. I never did put more in the handcart because I had to shove the handcart up Walkley or somewhere.

Quite right, Dreb48, at least in many cases. I'm sure I personally fared better than if I had gone to a comprehensive, as would inevitably have been the case a decade later. Being able to conjugate Latin verbs might not be important in the modern world, but you and I benefited from the sort of education that is denied most schoolchildren nowadays, that is the majority of those whose parents are not well-heeled enough to send their offspring to private schools. How many children from poor backgrounds (as I was) are nowadays given the advantage of the standard of education we had at King Ted's?

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 13:08 ----------

Here is one!.:)

Great article that one hillsboro - the one about living conditions.

Great article that one hillsboro - the one about living conditions.
Yes - although I wouldn't want to turn back the clock, there seemed to be more of a sense of community 60 or so years ago. It also tends to put modern "poverty" into perspective..:|