What does it mean to "believe in climate change"?

What do you believe about climate change?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What do you believe about climate change?

• I'm a believer and I expect ~1ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect ~1ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a believer and I expect 1-2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect 1-2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a believer and I expect >2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect
    • I'm a believer and I have no idea what to expect from CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I have no idea what to expect from CO2 doubling.

But not for everyone and I don't think anyone should be dead, I think we can keep billions more people alive, but what is impossible is to give them all the good quality of life that we in the UK enjoy.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 16:12 ----------

No it isn't, quality of life is nothing at all to do with life expectancy, there are people with no access to health care that have a much better quality of life than some people that do have access to good health care.

Life expectancy is one of the measures for the quality of life. You must understand that surely? That is not something I have just decided myself - it is what is used as an indicator by anyone who does studies this sort of thing. You want to query it, take it up with them.

Tell me, these people that have no access to health care - do you think their quality of life would stay higher than the people with access to healthcare when they become ill themselves?

Life expectancy is one of the measures for the quality of life. You must understand that surely? That is not something I have just decided myself - it is what is used as an indicator by anyone who does studies this sort of thing. You want to query it, take it up with them.

Living a long time does not equate to a good quality life, the world's 3.6 billion poorest people are getting poorer with their already poor quality life getting worse.

Living a long time does not equate to a good quality life, the world's 3.6 billion poorest people are getting poorer with their already poor quality life getting worse.

Evidence for that last statement please. You can't just spout nonsense without any backing up statistics. The global poor are getting poorer are they?

Tell me, these people that have no access to health care - do you think their quality of life would stay higher than the people with access to healthcare when they become ill themselves?

Someone living in a city and breathing in no end of pollution can have a much worse quality of life despite good quality health care than someone living in a remote region of the world with good air quality and lower levels of pollution.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 16:26 ----------

Evidence for that last statement please. You can't just spout nonsense without any backing up statistics. The global poor are getting poorer are they?

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/global-poverty-oxfam-world-economic-forum

Someone living in a city and breathing in no end of pollution can have a much worse quality of life despite good quality health care than someone living in a remote region of the world with good air quality and lower levels of pollution.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 16:26 ----------

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/global-poverty-oxfam-world-economic-forum

That article is about relative wealth. It just says that the richest people are getting a lot richer whereas the poorest people are only getting a tiny little bit richer. They aren't actually getting poorer in any real terms.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 16:33 ----------

That doesn't answer my question. Will someone with no access to health care still have a higher quality of life than someone with access to healthcare (who might live somewhere polluted) when they get ill?

That article is about relative wealth. It just says that the richest people are getting a lot richer whereas the poorest people are only getting a tiny little bit richer. They aren't actually getting poorer in any real terms.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 16:33 ----------

That doesn't answer my question. Will someone with no access to health care still have a higher quality of life than someone with access to healthcare (who might live somewhere polluted) when they get ill?

I did read an article that say we may be cleaning our self to death, we so many products that eliminates bugs and such that our own immune system never get to grip with protecting our own bodies. I also suspect that poorer areas eat a lot less processed food. Quality of life per say is really in the eye of the beholder.

All this opining on the usefulness of technology is all very silly. The data are in.

The GDP/capita of the developing nations is riding faster than the developed nations. But both are rising.

They are catching us up but we are still doing better year by year.

What more is there to say on the matter?

All this opining on the usefulness of technology is all very silly. The data are in.

The GDP/capita of the developing nations is riding faster than the developed nations. But both are rising.

You are a Tory, so you believe wealth trickles down to the poor, so everything is good.

Yes, people do have more material things, people should not die of malnutrition in this country, but they do.

GDP isn't a good measure of everyone's quality of life.