What does it mean to "believe in climate change"?

What do you believe about climate change?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What do you believe about climate change?

• I'm a believer and I expect ~1ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect ~1ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a believer and I expect 1-2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect 1-2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a believer and I expect >2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect
    • I'm a believer and I have no idea what to expect from CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I have no idea what to expect from CO2 doubling.

Petminder. Which countries do you think offer people the best quality of life?

The countries that cause the most environmental damage and consume far more than their share of the worlds resources. The question should be which countries cause the least amount of environmental damage and consume only their fair share of the worlds resources. Sadly every country can't follow our lead because there isn't enough planet.

The countries that cause the most environmental damage and consume far more than their share of the worlds resources. The question should be which countries cause the least amount of environmental damage and consume only their fair share of the worlds resources. Sadly every country can't follow our lead because there isn't enough planet.

Wouldn't those countries also have the highest GDP/capita?

Wouldn't those countries also have the highest GDP/capita?

Yes they do but that doesn't change the fact that GDP isn't a good measure of everyone's quality of life, we have an high GDP and people with very poor quality of life, other countries have lower GDP and people with very high quality of life.

We come 5th in the GDP tables but 13th in the quality of life tables, but even at 13th we still have people with a very poor quality of life, so if we can't give everyone in the UK a good quality of life how do you expect everyone on earth to have a good quality of life.

Yes they do but that doesn't change the fact that GDP isn't a good measure of everyone's quality of life, we have an high GDP and people with very poor quality of life, other countries have lower GDP and people with very high quality of life.

We come 5th in the GDP tables but 13th in the quality of life tables, but even at 13th we still have people with a very poor quality of life, so if we can't give everyone in the UK a good quality of life how do you expect everyone on earth to have a good quality of life.

Well obviously any measure that tries to quantify the average figures for a country will fail to show the differences within that country...

And we are talking about GDP per capita, not overall GDP. We actually come between 22 and 29th for GDP per capita depending on whose list you look at.

Edited by Robin-H

Can you define quality of life.

Can you define quality of life.

I'm going by Robin-H definition.

I think (sustainable) global prosperity means that everybody has a good standard of living - all people being able to live with their basic needs met and with the opportunity to pursue lives of satisfaction and happiness without the risk of denying others in the present and the future the ability to do the same.

GDP isn't a good measure of everyone's quality of life.

GDP/capita is a quite excellent measure of quality of life as you'd know if you understood this subject in the slightest rather than whatever ultra-looney-green websites you've been reading.

I'm going by Robin-H definition.

I'm confused. You said the countries that had the best quality of life were, and I quote 'The countries that cause the most environmental damage and consume far more than their share of the worlds resources.'

You then say that you define quality of life in the same way I define sustainable global prosperity, which stipulates that people have 'the opportunity to pursue lives of satisfaction and happiness without the risk of denying others in the present and the future the ability to do the same.'

How can the countries with the best quality of life simultaneously be causing the most environment damage whilst also not denying others in the future the opportunity to do the same?

GDP/capita is a quite excellent measure of quality of life as you'd know if you understood this subject in the slightest rather than whatever ultra-looney-green websites you've been reading.

No it doesn't, a country with very high GDP can also have millions of very poor people with very poor quality of life.