What does it mean to "believe in climate change"?

What do you believe about climate change?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What do you believe about climate change?

• I'm a believer and I expect ~1ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect ~1ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a believer and I expect 1-2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect 1-2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a believer and I expect >2ºC per CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I expect
    • I'm a believer and I have no idea what to expect from CO2 doubling.
    • I'm a sceptic and I have no idea what to expect from CO2 doubling.

How is it clear?

The fraction of people with a good quality of life keeps going up and up and up, year on year. Why should that stop?

Where do you get these ideas from?

Why do you wish to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 21:13 ----------

I said "Who's it getting worse for". You said it was getting worse for some. I asked who. You haven't answered.

And the total number of poor people is also increasing.

Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day, not sure what your definition of poor is but they all sound poor to me.

Edited by Petminder

And the total number of poor people is also increasing.

Almost half the world — over three billion people — live on less than $2.50 a day. At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day, not sure what your definition of poor is but they all sound poor to me.

Okay. But we've already established that in percentage terms the problem has improved dramatically.

What's your problem, and why blame technology?

Okay. But we've already established that in percentage terms the problem has improved dramatically.

What's your problem, and why blame technology?

Because technology is the cause of climate change, air pollution, water contamination, environmental destruction, many diseases, and the increased number of people living a very poor existence. I accept that it makes the lives of the minority better and I happy to be in that minority, but I don't kid myself that it is good for everyone or that everyone can enjoy the same quality of life that I enjoy.

Because technology is the cause of climate change, air pollution, water contamination, environmental destruction, many diseases, and the increased number of people living a very poor existence. I accept that it makes the lives of the minority better and I happy to be in that minority, but I don't kid myself that it is good for everyone or that everyone can enjoy the same quality of life that I enjoy.

No. Modern technology produces less pollution.

Whilst there is much speculation about the potential future impact of AGW on the poor peoples of the world, which is rightly considered seriously, it has yet to materialise. For now, other factors have far more bearing on the welfare of the poor.

The standard of living of the world is converging. The poor are getting richer faster than the rich are. Whether you believe it or not, it's happening. I for one am happy about that.

No. Modern technology produces less pollution.

Whilst there is much speculation about the potential future impact of AGW on the poor peoples of the world, which is rightly considered seriously, it has yet to materialise. For now, other factors have far more bearing on the welfare of the poor.

The standard of living of the world is converging. The poor are getting richer faster than the rich are. Whether you believe it or not, it's happening. I for one am happy about that.

It produces far more pollution than no technology, so even modern tech caused environmental damage and suffering. The gap between rich and poor is widening, the poorest are no richer than they were 10, 20, 30 40 50 60 ect. years ago.

Edited by Petminder

It produces far more pollution than no technology, so even modern tech caused environmental damage and suffering. The gap between rich and poor is widening, the poorest are no richer than they were 10, 20, 30 40 50 60 ect. years ago.

This is false. And you have already been shown evidence to that effect.

You want it to be true because it fits with (and is in fact required for) your "technology bad" narrative. But it's still false.

Edited by unbeliever

The gap between rich and poor is widening,

That bit is true.

the poorest are no richer than they were 10, 20, 30 40 50 60 ect. years ago.

That bit is false.

I was a child 60 years ago and I can tell you what being poor in the UK means. Even those classed as poor now have all the modern mod-cons, a home, food, access to health care and are generally healthy and free of disease.

That bit is true.

That bit is false.

I was a child 60 years ago and I can tell you what being poor in the UK means. Even those classed as poor now have all the modern mod-cons, a home, food, access to health care and are generally healthy and free of disease.

I would concede that the gap between the super-rich and everybody else is getting bigger. The gap between the top 25% in the world and the bottom 25% in the world is getting smaller.

I would concede that the gap between the super-rich and everybody else is getting bigger. The gap between the top 25% in the world and the bottom 25% in the world is getting smaller.

Gap between rich and poor 'keeps growing'.

"What we've seen, particularly in the last 15 years, is that even those who are college graduates have seen their incomes stagnate."

The link below states the poorest 10%, are YOU cherry picking figures ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32824770

That bit is true.

That bit is false.

We are not talking about the UK, people in the UK are not poor when compared to the poorest people on earth.