Spoilt kids these days !

On the run up to the school holidays all the radio stations were giving ideas and prizes to parents who have to entertain their offspring for 6 weeks.

Being bored in the 6 weeks holiday is a rite of passage, my mum certainly didn't have a detailed program of activities planned, I just went out with friends played football, climbed trees etc. Apparently parents across the country are stressed out over it all. Is this right?

Being bored is beneficial and important to the growing mind, it fosters imagination and creativity. Some of the best experiences I had as a child in the 6 weeks break came from when a group of us sat on the grass bored.

We soon got a plan together and off we went.

The problem nowadays is, parents are terrified to leave kids to enjoy themselves in case they are abducted etc. This is despite the fact that they are a hundred times safer than when I was a kid.

My parents taught me not to wander off alone, stay with pals. Don't talk to strangers or get in a car etc.etc.

We knew how to build a trolly, mend our bikes, make a swing, or better still a raft, we could recognise a dead branch that wouldn't support us up a tree.

Plus too much more to list.

If todays kids are not as well prepared then it's probably best to keep them in or just send them to organised activities where they don't have to think things out on their own.

So, I had all that as a kid and survived, so did all my pals, and I can't remember any kid in my school getting anything worse than a broken arm.

One lad fell out of his bedroom window, but he was in the "safety" of his home.

Was I the same as my parents? I'm ashamed to say no. Why? because I would have been labelled a bad parent these days for letting them out of my sight for 10 mins.

Hopefully I was a good compromise though, and they seem to be turning into well rounded humans.

Being bored is beneficial and important to the growing mind, it fosters imagination and creativity. Some of the best experiences I had as a child in the 6 weeks break came from when a group of us sat on the grass bored.

The problem nowadays is, parents are terrified to leave kids to enjoy themselves in case they are abducted etc. This is despite the fact that they are a hundred times safer than when I was a kid.

My parents taught me not to wander off alone, stay with pals. Don't talk to strangers or get in a car etc.etc.

We knew how to build a trolly, mend our bikes, make a swing, or better still a raft, we could recognise a dead branch that wouldn't support us up a tree.

If todays kids are not as well prepared then it's probably best to keep them in or just send them to organised activities where they don't have to think things out on their own.

So, I had all that as a kid and survived, so did all my pals, and I can't remember any kid in my school getting anything worse than a broken arm.

Was I the same as my parents? I'm ashamed to say no. Why? because I would have been labelled a bad parent these days for letting them out of my sight for 10 mins.

Hopefully I was a good compromise though, and they seem to be turning into well rounded humans.

As well as a well rounded Toast post. :thumbsup:

Edited by cassity

You took the words out of my mouth!

I think we see the affects now in the young adults we have who don't seem able to cope at all in the adult world.

It never ceases to amaze me about childrens manners, or rather lack of them.

No thank you letters, (even a phone call would do) table manners? None at all, up and down from the table, no idea how to use cutlery, interupting constantly.etc etc................

And all done while using their mobile.