Is work what it used to be in the past?

Anybody remember what work was like in the 60, 70, 80s?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-33649129

18k for managing 30 staff in a premier Inn. Is that enough?

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 17:14 ----------

I honestly never knew the staff in hospitality got paid so little. Will be extra nice to them in future.

You must have been living in Lala Land.

Welcome to the real world.

Did you bother to read the whole article(200 applicants for one job even in high employment areas).

and yes, I do remember what it was like. Bosses were as hard to work for then as now. Why do you think workers unionised in the first place. Workers only ever get a fair deal when they are in short supply.

Edited by Margarita Ma

I started work in the 70's (just). Over my working life things were pretty good until globalism really hit it's stride. The mines have gone, manufacturing has been hammered, etc. Nowadays good paying jobs are pretty thin on the ground, house prices have shot up and in the public sector there is a "management class". The theory being if you can manage in one department, you can manage in any department. Wrong!

Overall I would say that the work environment has grown harsher and more uncaring. In real terms I think pay is lower and house prices higher.

In the early 70's my contemporaries left school at fifteen and sixteen on a Friday and were working on the Monday. By the time I left Uni many were married and had bought their first house.

It's a far cry from today; and no, £18k doesn't sound a lot for the responsibility of that job.

You must have been living in Lala Land.

Welcome to the real world.

Did you bother to read the whole article(200 applicants for one job even in high employment areas).

and yes, I do remember what it was like. Bosses were as hard to work for then as now. Why do you think workers unionised in the first place. Workers only ever get a fair deal when they are in short supply.

I still feel 18k for that job is too low.

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 19:12 ----------

I started work in the 70's (just). Over my working life things were pretty good until globalism really hit it's stride. The mines have gone, manufacturing has been hammered, etc. Nowadays good paying jobs are pretty thin on the ground, house prices have shot up and in the public sector there is a "management class". The theory being if you can manage in one department, you can manage in any department. Wrong!

Overall I would say that the work environment has grown harsher and more uncaring. In real terms I think pay is lower and house prices higher.

In the early 70's my contemporaries left school at fifteen and sixteen on a Friday and were working on the Monday. By the time I left Uni many were married and had bought their first house.

It's a far cry from today; and no, £18k doesn't sound a lot for the responsibility of that job.

Whats the solution?

---------- Post added 01-08-2015 at 19:14 ----------

I knew a manager of one of a large chain of pizza shops. She was on 25k 7 years ago. Maybe whitbread pay under rates.

Having being retired for several years now I do not have an opinion on the the present but I was on a better salary than that 20 years ago for driving a lorry, in the 60s through to the 80s I was working between 70 to 80 hours a week this was made up of between 50 to 60 hours driving and the rest of the time was loading , waiting for ferries and customs paper work at borders, so now people work less hours but it is difficult to compare now with 40 to 50 years ago but I would say that you were respected more by the bosses than you seem to be nowadays.

On the money.

Angel1.

I started work in the sixties. Ten bob a week plus my keep, caring for three then four children. This was better than the ten bob a week offered to me by a woman in Sheffield who expected me to pay bus fares. She offered to teach me to do ironing that I had been doing for years at home and my brother paid me for.

When I returned to Sheffield I got a job as a Shop Assistant/ Window Dresser, had a row with my mum and found out that the wage was not enough to pay the rent on a bedsit and eat let alone pay bus fares.

In 1969 I was looking at getting married, houses were the same price as a new mini car. We couldn't afford either. Most teenagers lived with their parents some newly married couples continued to live with parents while they saved for a deposit or had children and moved up the housing list.

Edited by Margarita Ma

I started work in the sixties. Ten bob a week plus my keep, caring for three then four children. This was better than the ten bob a week offered to me by a woman in Sheffield who expected me to pay bus fares. She offered to teach me to do ironing that I had been doing for years at home and my brother paid me for.

When I returned to Sheffield I got a job as a Shop Assistant/ Window Dresser, had a row with my mum and found out that the wage was not enough to pay the rent on a bedsit and eat let alone pay bus fares.

In 1969 I was looking at getting married, houses were the same price as a new mini car. We couldn't afford either. Most teenagers lived with their parents some newly married couples continued to live with parents while they saved for a deposit or had children and moved up the housing list.

Should of got an education then and earnt more money. Nobody elses fault is it?