New ceiling lights

Apologies for asking what is probably a simple question. I need new ceiling lights in kitchen and bathroom. I've seen a possible one for the bathroom, a round bowl that is flush to the ceiling. Would this require extensive wiring, ie chopping into ceiling to fit it. I will want an electrician to fit the lights but need to have the lights for him to fit first.

For the kitchen I would quite like spotlights, but don't know if the same question applies.

Current lights are one bulb hanging from a wire.

Thanks for your help.

The bathroom 1 must be marked as suitable for bathroom..ie water resistant.

The kitchen will need the floor above taking up to fit reccessed spotlights.

If the kitchen 1 is a bar with spotlights on it then it shoult be a straight swap with no need to take the floors up.

The kitchen will need the floor above taking up to fit reccessed spotlights.

Not necessarily as sometimes its easier to put in a false ceiling, dropping it around 3-4", and then its easy to wire up and install modern led spotlights. If its a flat then that would be the option to go down.

The bathroom light could be a straight swap and does not have to be waterproof. The main thing to think about is the light output when using a bowl type.

Edited by apelike

Get some one who knows what they are doing,inset spots need air space above ie a small plant pot to stop them overheating most are fitted from below.

Not an issue with LED's as they don't give out anywhere like the heat of halogen.