ID cards in the UK.From a Left/Right perspective - Poll

Do you think ID cards in the UK would be a good idea  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think ID cards in the UK would be a good idea

• I am generally Left leaning in my politics and I would NOT introduce them.
    • I am generally Left leaning in my politics and I WOULD introduce them.
    • I am generally Right leaning in my politics and I would NOT introduce them.
    • I am generally Right leaning in my politics and I WOULD introduce them.
    • I am apolitical and I would therefore be neither for nor against anything.

Then they'll say the citizens are losing these cards.....we need a implantable micro-chip.

And then if you don't conform when this system is implemented.....they will turn the thing off.

You will not be able to buy anything and therefore not survive.

OBEY......or have your chip turned off.

You make a good point, but it falls short of the issue. ID cards are not there to discourage people like you. They re there to get an idea of who is in our country and who is illegal. It would also save a lot of police time trying to identify who it was they are talking to.

It wouldn't save any police time at all. If carrying ID cards were compulsory then the police would have to spend time enforcing that law by asking people to show their ID. If someone wasn't carrying ID then the police would have to investigate that person. That applies to British citizens as much as to foreigners. It would take up a lot of police time and potential court time. You have missed the point that new laws have to be enforced and that costs time and money and puts extra work on the police.

I've spent time in 7 of the countries on your list as well as in France and have never been asked to produce ID. I didn't carry any anyway so the law was irrelevant to me.

ID cards won't be brought in in the UK. British people won't accept them. It would be a massive vote loser for any government that brought them in.

I dont want an ID card and cant see why it is necessary as it certainly does not stop criminal activity or terrorism. I also dont have a passport, driving license or bank account. There are also enough laws already in place to deal with who is illegal or not, and implementing an ID scheme would not save money but possibly cost £billions.

Here is a bit of a laugh from 10 years ago and show up the ID hype.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/may/26/idcards.immigrationpolicy

It wouldn't save any police time at all. If carrying ID cards were compulsory then the police would have to spend time enforcing that law by asking people to show their ID. If someone wasn't carrying ID then the police would have to investigate that person. That applies to British citizens as much as to foreigners. It would take up a lot of police time and potential court time. You have missed the point that new laws have to be enforced and that costs time and money and puts extra work on the police.

I've spent time in 7 of the countries on your list as well as in France and have never been asked to produce ID. I didn't carry any anyway so the law was irrelevant to me.

ID cards won't be brought in in the UK. British people won't accept them. It would be a massive vote loser for any government that brought them in.

Labour passed the necessary law in 2006. It went all the way to Royal ascent, which it got. It was only because they lost the election to parties committed to killing the plan in their manifestos that it was never fully rolled out.

We escaped it by the skin of our teeth.

Same thing happened under the Conservatives in the mid '90s. Didn't quite get as far, but it was well underway. Again Labour killed it when they won in '97.

Maybe this is something that emerges naturally when a government in its third or fourth term runs out of ideas.

Governments like power. Information is power.

It'll be back. Just you watch.

Edited by unbeliever

I do not want them. It wouldn't solve the problem of illegal immigrants as they'd just produce forgeries.

Why don't those in Calais just produce fake passports and walk in?

---------- Post added 03-08-2015 at 21:24 ----------

Governments like power. Information is power.

Is that a good thing from your perspective?

Did you vote in my little poll?

Yes..is that an issue?

Of course it's not a good thing.

Government should have the bare minimum of power needed to do the job of governing. And what power they have should be exercised openly so that the people can judge whether they're using it appropriately.

I would have thought that my opinion on that was quite clear from my other posts and from the tone of the one you replied to.

Was "We escaped it by the skin of our teeth." not a clue?