Britains BIGGEST benefit scrounger

All pales into insignificance when you get the likes of Wayne Rooney on £250,000 per week for kicking a bit of leather around for 90 mins on Saturday afternoons.

As that is a private sector activity; nobody is required, under threat of imprisonment, to contribute to his salary. Unlike politicians and other public servants.

Whilst I actually like IDS and am inclined to defend him, I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Perhaps take a look at the pay, expenses and tax avoidance of some of the BBC folk if you'd like to find somebody more worthy of criticism. You won't have to look far.

Edited by unbeliever

I am sure there will be a online news site or blog with some interesting news on IDS, but not in the serious papers.

Items previously claimed on expenses Mr Duncan Smith include a £39 breakfast – a revelation that sparked criticism in light of comments that he could live off £53 a week benefits “if he had to”.

That is either a lot of food, or it includes other things, it does not say if the claim was granted.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/iain-duncan-smiths-expenses-credit-card-is-suspended-after-he-runs-up-1000-debt-to-taxpayer-10357601.html

What exactly has he done wrong here? I can't work it out.

As that is a private sector activity; nobody is required, under threat of imprisonment, to contribute to his salary. Unlike politicians and other public servants. Whilst I actually like IDS and am inclined to defend him, I don't think this is a fair comparison.

Perhaps take a look at the pay, expenses and tax avoidance of some of the BBC folk if you'd like to find somebody more worthy of criticism. You won't have to look far.

I think OUR MPs get a bad press; its not a direct comparison, as one gets around £200,000 a week and the other £200,000 a year.

Both are top men in their field of expertise. Just as public sector drivers should get similar pay to private sector drivers, with a great deal of variation.

If you paid a public sector driver, doing the same role, the same in a year what the private sector driver got in a week, you would not get any staff.

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 10:25 ----------

Has has pigged out and spent all his food allowance at breakfast ;)

Under the old rules -

£25-a-day "subsistence allowance", for food, coffees and other items on days of parliamentary business.

New rules -

MPs only get £15 per night towards dinner when the rate is around £24 for civil servants and, according to one of his colleagues, £29 for serving soldiers.

There are also the CAP payments to the estate he lives on, they aren't even subject to the benefit CAP, and different rules are in place, so they (landholders - individuals and corporations, which may or may not be based offshore - and need not be registered with the land registry to claim the CAP payments) can backdate claims by years, but can only be forced to pay back up to one years worth of overpayments if the system is fiddled or there is error.

All pales into insignificance when you get the likes of Wayne Rooney on £250,000 per week for kicking a bit of leather around for 90 mins on Saturday afternoons.

And the rest. Then putting through wayne rooney ltd.

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 11:03 ----------

There are also the CAP payments to the estate he lives on, they aren't even subject to the benefit CAP, and different rules are in place, so they (landholders - individuals and corporations, which may or may not be based offshore - and need not be registered with the land registry to claim the CAP payments) can backdate claims by years, but can only be forced to pay back up to one years worth of overpayments if the system is fiddled or there is error.

Whats a CAP payment??

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 11:05 ----------

Nothing. He earns wages and pays tax and claims expenses legitimately. Like it or not.

At least Wayne Rooney has a talent which pours coffers into Man Utd. and the England football teams and provides plenty of entertainment. He also got there on his own accord.

Nothing. He earns wages and pays tax and claims expenses legitimately. Like it or not.

Yes, I was expecting that to come up.

Once again, you are supporting the division of society instead of trying to change it with public reprobation. It is the only thing left that might bring about change.

Morality cannot be enshrined in law it seems, neither can setting a good example, and sadly it seems hypocrisy knows no bounds. At least it should be made very very public and heavily criticised...

Once again, you are supporting the division of society instead of trying to change it with public reprobation. It is the only thing left that might bring about change.

Morality cannot be enshrined in law it seems, neither can setting a good example, and sadly it seems hypocrisy knows no bounds. At least it should be made very very public and heavily criticised...

Really?

Have you any idea how much more money is available to a typical cabinet minster in the private sector?

You think they're in it for the money? It makes no sense at all.

Should all of us who work in the public sector consider ourselves to be "on benefits"? We do have to train and compete for these jobs you know, and we do have to do the work we're assigned.

Edited by unbeliever

Not supporting anything. Just stating a fact.

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 12:28 ----------

If you dont agree with it or dont like the man. Just say that, but to call him a 'benefits scrounger' is disengenuous.

If anything its the system thats broken. But even then MPs work pretty hard in general. And many do need 2nd properties etc. So i cant see much wrong with claiming expenses.

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 12:38 ----------

Really?

Have you any idea how much more money is available to a typical cabinet minster in the private sector?

You think they're in it for the money? It makes no sense at all.

Should all of us who work in the public sector consider ourselves to be "on benefits"? We do have to train and compete for these jobs you know, and we do have to do the work we're assigned.

I think some people have no idea about the public sector and how hard you guys have to work in difficult conditions with reduced pay and pensions. Judging by this thread some people have no idea about work in general!

---------- Post added 04-08-2015 at 12:01 ----------

I read a similar thing about John Berrow and expenses for taking private cars, and thought that was excessive. However when you think about the fact the job demand you get to places on time and it's in central London, catching a taxi isn't practical.

I think there's way too much furore whipped about expenses. Its improved and accountability has increased so public are getting value for money. The only thing I can't get my head around is the house of Lords and peers. That's bloated.