Best course of action advice

He text today and said he will give me £500 and that's all.

He is claiming he never quoted for removing the base just the garage, and to rebuild the base. He can't rebuild the base if he didn't remove the current one.

He sent a further text saying if you want to go to court then do so.

He won't ring he only text the wife never me.

I do wonder why he asked me to pay the garage company £160 as he isn't VAT registered. Is it legal to get someone to pay your VAT. If he is charging over £100 per hour surely he earns enough to be registered

It's illegal to charge VAT if you aren't VAT registered. (And vice versa).

Did you get the original quote in writing? Presumably that would state whether removing the base was included or not.

It's illegal to charge VAT if you aren't VAT registered. (And vice versa).

Did you get the original quote in writing? Presumably that would state whether removing the base was included or not.

It's a load of handwritten scribble on a bit of paper just a kind of estimate

He sent an invoice after on headed paper for £640

There is good news that I see here.If he has offered £500 I would personally take it,just snatch his hand off.Make an arrangement sooner rather than later ,and make sure it is cash .Then call it a day.

Not a perfect end ,but as good as I think it will get.:)

Why, when the world is littered with stories about building works' failures, do people not learn basic lessons?

You're spending c£6000......... why not do the procurement properly?

Localman, sounds like good advice, but for those of who don't know how, could you tell us?

He text today and said he will give me £500 and that's all.

He is claiming he never quoted for removing the base just the garage, and to rebuild the base. He can't rebuild the base if he didn't remove the current one.

He sent a further text saying if you want to go to court then do so.

He won't ring he only text the wife never me.

I do wonder why he asked me to pay the garage company £160 as he isn't VAT registered. Is it legal to get someone to pay your VAT. If he is charging over £100 per hour surely he earns enough to be registered

I did read it three times over again… My answer has not changed!. Feel free to elaborate and point to specific points.

It is all down to verbal interpretation unless you have things in writing.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 22:08 ----------

“It's a load of handwritten scribble on a bit of paper just a kind of estimate

He sent an invoice after on headed paper for £640”

Ever heard the saying >> See a monkey chock him” May just be a Scottish thing…. But you are the monkey that just got chocked

I am not being argumentative But if you said knock down garage then lay new foundations. What you should have said is Knock down garage remove and replace existing foundations in preparation for my new garage etc! .

Then you are not in the position you are in now.

---------- Post added 10-08-2015 at 22:50 ----------

Quick tip for all. Never Ever pay money upfront for a job! If they ask for money look for another! Any reputable business will never ask money upfront.

£3000 for demolition ..lmao >>> For a fish supper I could send you one man to do it in 10 minutes.

I didn't say £3000 for demolition.

I said £3000 for demolition and rebuild, which is probably a good price if it was done

If you can demolish a garage that size for the price of a fish supper, I wish I had known before.

Edited by woggle