Be aware when using local ATM's

The rfid blocking wallets act as a Faraday cage around your card and would probably offer the best protection against being contactless skimmed. If you wrap your card in tinfoil you may potentially be amping up the available attack vector, as the tinfoil is conductive and may aid in the receiving of the signal from the skim device.

Only if you make the tin foil connect with the chip transceiver... Otherwise it will act exactly like a faraday cage.

Of course contactless only works within a few cms, so ensuring that nobody holds an odd looking device next to your trousers for 5 seconds would also work.

If you are worried about this, having a piece of tinfoil the size of a tenner lining your paper-money part of the wallet will fix it. This is not needed though, incidences of card detail theft this way are very, very low.

My Bold

with respect, apparently this doesn't help, i dont know the reason for this but was stated on T.V.

Only if you make the tin foil connect with the chip transceiver... Otherwise it will act exactly like a faraday cage.

Of course contactless only works within a few cms, so ensuring that nobody holds an odd looking device next to your trousers for 5 seconds would also work.

I believe the card only working over a few cm is down to security requirements for end-user equipment, obviously not something thieves will be sticking to.

There were reports of the early units M&S got not sticking to this and actually triggering cards in people purses/wallets while they were getting out the card they intended to use.

So its hard to know for certain if you are fully blocking the signal from more powerful devices, but as a rule of thumb if your phone has NFC support then download "NFC Taginfo" and see if your card will scan on your phone. Then try with whatever protection you have.

I have one of these (no not the leopard print one) and it seems to do the job. I have mine right in the middle with various other store cards, driving license, etc either side.

Edited by AlexAtkin

So its hard to know for certain if you are fully blocking the signal from more powerful devices, but as a rule of thumb if your phone has NFC support then download "NFC Taginfo" and see if your card will scan on your phone.

I downloaded both NFC Taginfo apps for Android (there are two) and I had to place my bank card physically underneath my phone for the two to notice each other (Samsung galaxy S3, with the NFC chip on the battery).

I placed the card on top of the phone, but they wouldn't recognise each other.

I also had to remove my phone's rubber case before it worked too.

I hope that's secure enough :)