TV / television licensing MEGATHREAD

It's too late for the "don't let them in" advice. I did say that at the start. When you have never encountered a goon before and they turn up whilst you are still unpacking - I have to say I was disorganised and unprepared... But not guilty.

I have written a letter to Tv licensing pointing out the inaccuracies in the TVL178 form and also that the guy never visually inspected anything in the hope they may drop the case. Most people are saying I haven't got a chance in hell at winning against them because i signed the form. They are probably right.

It's a shame that I may well end up ruining my career all because I unwittingley signed a piece of paper. Criminal record is pretty much game over for me. Magistrates aren't there to sympathise, nor are TV licensing. It's all about money

I've pleaded not guilty but i'm stilling attending court. Until then i'm going to seek more advice if I have a case with any credible defence and if not then will change my plea in court to guilty to effectively save losing in court anyway.

I'm not bowing down and pleading guilty straight away. If you are innocent you should at least try and fight your corner up until the point you know all is lost.!!

err ofc you attend.

id say youd have a good chance of getting it dropped if you agree to pay, but that would be agreeing to pay something you think you ought not to be.

You might want to use the duty solicitor if you dont get your own or at least prepare your own defence. I told you what it is. They may or may not believe you. It isnt always about who is correct.

If you had searched and got my advice you would not be in court. This week on radio 2, an MP was being interviewed. She said that the magistrates have approached several MP's advising that the TV license should be decriminalised(which has never been a criminal offence, lawfully) to a civil offense? as you know, I and many other wise ones have stopped paying. I for over 2 yrs now and no one has ever been to my door, as promised via TV licensing's letter.

If and when it becomes a civil matter, will you sheeples want back pay for unlawful takings of monies(which you won't get, as you willingly paid, your choice) or will you just carry on with your heads in the sand? eg happily pay new tax on SUGAR.

Edited by Total Chaos

It has nothing to do with a TV licence ( read licence as a receipt for a live streaming service ) Just like sky TV.

It's about copyright infringement!

Only the bbc use the word "licence" , And "tv licence enforcers" ( Read as sales people) to sound scary and official. Truth is they have no more power than a window cleaner to walk up your pathway, talk to you or enter your home.

Read up on the court cases for tvcatchup . Then read up on the bbc. No matter what.... Anyone paying a subscription ( read subscription as a tv licence ) to the bbc are silly. Simple!

---------- Post added 29-03-2014 at 01:39 ----------

---------- Post added 29-03-2014 at 01:40 ----------

---------- Post added 29-03-2014 at 01:41 ----------

Lots more ..... Do a YouTube on it.

---------- Post added 29-03-2014 at 02:04 ----------

First thing first,,,, You dont need to prove your innocence, They have to prove your guilt.

prove to me you don't watch live tv ...." NO" Prove to me I do! ... Simple!

First thing first,,,, You dont need to prove your innocence, They have to prove your guilt.

prove to me you don't watch live tv ...." NO" Prove to me I do! ... Simple!

That's the gist of it. Unless they can prove your guilt they can't do anything to you.

Hence why, when the inspector calls, it's best to simply shut the door on them- they want you to talk to them as that 'aids in their investigations'.

But it's their investigation and their problem- let them waste their time, but you're under no obligation to do or say anything.

And, of course, NEVER let them into your home. Shut the door and go about your day, they are a toothless organisation and can do nothing to incriminate you unless you actively assist them by allowing access or talking to them.

What will be interesting is that when it is decriminalised, then it will be a lot easier for them to prove things. They might not be sending you to jail, but a lot of the other defences will not be as effective. It will be for the courts to decide who they believe. It will mess up your credit rating if you have one.

---------- Post added 29-03-2014 at 12:35 ----------

It has nothing to do with a TV licence ( read licence as a receipt for a live streaming service ) Just like sky TV.

It's about copyright infringement!

Only the bbc use the word "licence" , And "tv licence enforcers" ( Read as sales people) to sound scary and official. Truth is they have no more power than a window cleaner to walk up your pathway, talk to you or enter your home.

Read up on the court cases for tvcatchup . Then read up on the bbc. No matter what.... Anyone paying a subscription ( read subscription as a tv licence ) to the bbc are silly. Simple!

On a quite separate note are you still stating that to watch the website tvcatchup in the UK you do not need a uk tv licence?

Link the exact case or reference you are relying on to support this from a credible source instead of just saying look at the cases, so you can show theres some substance to your claim.

Edited by 999tigger

I think if you do go to court you will stand a very good chance of getting away with it as the courts are sick to death of the current BBC licencing system and have been petitioning for many years to decriminalize not having a TV licence,the government are already talking about decriminalizing it now,I have never had a TV licence and have no intention of getting one they have been to my door a few time hassling me I'm 6 foot 5 and not easily intimidated by their tactics,your trouble is you let him in the house and signed his paper so you will have to go court and plead your case or they will find you guilty.I don't think being fined for not having a TV licence will hold you back there are lots people who have been done for not having a TV licence...I remember having and argument with one of those guys that come round I said I don't watch BBC stuff I've got sky why should I pay for a TV licence..his reply was well the government own the airwaves that the signals are using so you do have to pay a licence regardless of what you watch I lost interest in the conversation at that point and told him to fffffofff..:roll:

I think if you do go to court you will stand a very good chance of getting away with it as the courts are sick to death of the current BBC licencing system and have been petitioning for many years to decriminalize not having a TV licence,the government are already talking about decriminalizing it now,

Yet over 100,000 people are found guilty of licence evasion each year. The courts are not petitioning for it to be made legal, just for it to be made a civil offence, which requires less stringent criteria for conviction and would be able to be processed much faster.

That said, it must be one of the first times a law is being changed because too many people are breaking it...

I don't think being fined for not having a TV licence will hold you back there are lots people who have been done for not having a TV licence...

Being found guilty carries a criminal record. Many employers, especially in sensitive roles or those where a trustworth, reputable type is desirable, will not look kindly on applications from people who declare any criminal convictions.

I remember having and argument with one of those guys that come round I said I don't watch BBC stuff I've got sky why should I pay for a TV licence..his reply was well the government own the airwaves that the signals are using so you do have to pay a licence regardless of what you watch

The TV Licence fee covers more than just the cost of the BBC.

I suspect if the classification of licence evasion is changed, we may well see the end of free-to-air programming for all but a very small number of channels in the UK. No licence fee paid, no TV viewable by that household.

I lost interest in the conversation at that point and told him to fffffofff..:roll:

Nice celebration of idiocy there, well done. Do you have the same attitude to anyone who tells you you are mistaken about something?