TV / television licensing MEGATHREAD

If licence evasion becomes a civil offence, just admitting that might be enough for TVL to get a conviction.

Oh btw that defence fails already, its the defence of those who have no idea of the rules.

It might be that refusing to answer questions and being on the TV database might satisfy registars to find for the TVLA. be interesting to see how such cases go.

The BBC will be changing things like access to iplayer and the requirement for a licence imo.

They could also start to encrypt the signal.

I like how on sheffield forum it seems like a badge of honour that they celebrate their own ignorance. Quality.

Loving the I have Sky TV argument, always a winning defence.

That was many years ago everyone thought the same when sky first came out, the licences people soon made it clear about that one...they had an advert campaign with the bloke on the roof with the big white Amstrad dish telling us it was a crime not to have a licence even if you just have satellite.

Edited by Lobos

To the OP

Definately plead not guilty.

Go to court and say your piece

If you can convince the magistrate you're OK.

But it won't be easy. You've condemned yourself out of your own mouth.

All you had to do was tell the guy the man he wanted had moved out, and you'd only just moved in.

Thank you very much, goodbye.

That was many years ago everyone thought the same when sky first came out, the licences people soon made it clear about that one...they had an advert campaign with the bloke on the roof with the big white Amstrad dish telling us it was a crime not to have a licence even if you just have satellite.

I was being sarcastic....

I would go to CAB first and put all information before them even before considering to plead not guilty.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence

The above links show that if you do not receive live signals, then you do not need one. But then one link does state that even if you use Sky box to record a live signal but not actually to watch it live, you still need a TV license. The TVlicensing.co.uk link is more updated with information such as when it is a multi-tenancy rental place. As each person "requires" their own TV License. I did not even know this. I just have a home one, and never translated it to the different places I lived in. But then, I never did watch a live TV either in those places. I just watched DVDs or online iplayer. Plus even on iPlayers, not all items are "broadcast live". Some are pre-recorded. So you need to be quite specific and correct on the law on this one.

If you are truly unsure, I would consider forking out money to get a solicitor's to deal with you just to be on the cautious side, and ask for his formal opinions.

What will be interesting is that when it is decriminalised, then it will be a lot easier for them to prove things. They might not be sending you to jail, but a lot of the other defences will not be as effective. It will be for the courts to decide who they believe. It will mess up your credit rating if you have one.

---------- Post added 29-03-2014 at 12:35 ----------

On a quite separate note are you still stating that to watch the website tvcatchup in the UK you do not need a uk tv licence?

Link the exact case or reference you are relying on to support this from a credible source instead of just saying look at the cases, so you can show theres some substance to your claim.

I'm sitting on a bus watching tvcatchup, Just waiting on a bbc inspector coming onto the bus and asking me for a TV licence! :loopy: ... Move on you NUTTER! :loopy:

---------- Post added 31-03-2014 at 23:20 ----------

If I take a chocolate bar from asda and not pay I face a criminal charge. If I watch live TV I face the same charge. But asda don't feel the need to send letters to my door saying ... If you enter my shop and take goods without paying I will take you to court. The bbc do send letters, They have NO powers! ... If you open your door ( and or let them in ) and say I watch live TV then more fool you. Tell them to go away, Just like you would a tramp at your door wanting booz.

---------- Post added 31-03-2014 at 23:38 ----------

Can you imagine... Hi Amber not seen you for ages in my shop ( Read as... You have NO TV licence at you address ) Can you tell me why ?!?! Also can I remind you that it is against the law to come to my shop and take things without paying me !!! .... I say ...Mr Asda stop coming to my door reminding me that taking your stuff is against the law.. Go away. .... That's the same with the bbc.! Same thing!. Get away from my door you bums!!!

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 01:03 ----------

For the 90% daft people on this forum... You receive a letter or a house visit from ... Asda, Tesco, or B&M , ETC!... Saying our records show you have not been in our store lately... WHY?!?! .... Can we remind you that the Theft Act 1968 will result in prosecution. ..... What would you say to Bob from Asda when he chaps your door to tell you this??? The BBC Have NO more power than Asda to talk to you, chap your door, come to your house! ..... Tell them to .... off !!!!

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 02:21 ----------

To anyone not sure what Noel Edmonds was on about. He wants to do away with the TV licence ( read as receipt for a subscription to live tv ) and replace with advertisements like all other TV stations.

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 02:50 ----------

P.S Noel Edmonds doesn't pay a tv licence he watches Catch-up TV. !

---------- Post added 01-04-2014 at 03:26 ----------

If you don’t watch or record television programs as they are being shown on TV, on any device, you don’t need a TV Licence. Here’s how you can let us know. ( You dont need to let them know )

Once you are sure you will not watch or record television programs as they’re being shown on TV, using any device, then please let us know. This helps us to keep our database up to date and means you won't receive the letters we send to unlicensed addresses.

( You dont have to! ) Question: Would you let billy know why you dont need him to clean your windows?!?! Answer: NO

To all forum users you need to let me know why I can not clean your windows to update my database!! The BBC has the same power as I do to ask you that question. No power at all! No legal obligation to answer anything the bbc ask you. .

Edited by amberleaf808

I'm sitting on a bus watching tvcatchup, Just waiting on a bbc inspector coming onto the bus and asking me for a TV licence! :loopy: ... Move on you NUTTER! :loopy:

Do you think they licence caravans / mobile homes too? Do you think TV's in them are legally unlicencable?

Watching TVCatchup.com on the bus with no licence for your home means you just broke the law.

If I take a chocolate bar from asda and not pay I face a criminal charge. If I watch live TV I face the same charge. But asda don't feel the need to send letters to my door saying ... If you enter my shop and take goods without paying I will take you to court. The bbc do send letters, They have NO powers! ... If you open your door ( and or let them in ) and say I watch live TV then more fool you. Tell them to go away, Just like you would a tramp at your door wanting booz.

1) You can't steal from ASDA at home. You can the Government.

2) The BBC can apply for a warrant for entry and to examine your television equipment if they reasonably suspect you of evading the licence fee. So, actually, they can have the right to enter your home, unlike whichever retail outlet you wish to try and use as an example.

If you're looking for examples, evading the licence fee is more like not paying your electricity bill than stealing from a shop / refusing to use a window cleaner.

1. Amberleaf you still dont get the difference between TVcatchup.com and catch up tv.

TVCatchup.com= website which acknowledges you need a TV licence as it broadcasts a live stream and covered by the communications Act 2003.

Catchup TV a generic term to describe a system of access previously broadcast TV content. Most of I player being an example.

Amberleaf= poster who cant tell the difference between the two although he's had it explained to him time and time again.

You were asked to provide proof that you do not need a TV licence for TVcatchup.com you refer to court cases but you are unable to provide any which prove your point.

Maybe thats because tvcatchup themselves say you need a TV licence as part of its evidence which it submitted and confirmed by the European Court of Justice last year.

If you have a recent case which shows you do not need a TV lucence to watch the website tvcatchup.cpm then please enlighten us.

2. You seem to revel in the fact that you can deny them entry, which is correct and has never been disputed, but if they want to they can apply for a court order to enter your premises. You seem to think this is great protection for you. Well it goes so far, the TV licencing people can if they wish come back with a warrant and then you will be forced to let them in.

If you obstruct them, then you will be guilty of a criminal offence.

3. For some reason you seem to think its's related that you don't need to let them know whether you have a TV licence or not. This is true and once again nobody has ever said otherwise, but it doesnt have any relevance.

So Ill leave you with the following questions.

1. Provide evidence in the form of a recent case or article of credible source that you do not need a TV licence to watch the website tvcatchup.com at home.

2. Tell us what you will do if the authorities turn up at your door with a warrant? will you be telling them to get lost then as they have no power?

3. It looks likely the BBC licence will be decriminialised and it becomes a civil matter. Will you still raise the same defences, even though the balance of proof will change?