Part worn tyres

I assume all the tyres on your car were of the same brand, of the same age, fitted at the same time and worn at roughly the same rate.

Not some mis-matched set, some of which have been sat around for a long time, and all having different levels of wear.

Lorrys run re-treads, which are cheaper than new tyres.

I bought part worns when I first started driving and didn't have the cash to spend on new tyres, I soon learned to save up. I had 3 sets of part worns out of that 1 tyre had eggs, and one had a punture!! The others only lasted a fraction of the distance new ones do, and TBH you're also only getting what they have in which can be real crap to start with.

FF to now and I don't scrimp on tyres, they are the one thing in contact with the road to stop you skidding, and to keep control of a very large potentially harmful chunk of metal.

I also don't buy cheapo budgets, sad as it sounds I research to try and find the best tyre for my vehicle, this year I've just swapped to Michelin Cross Climates as they tick all the boxes. Choice is a luxury you do not get with part worns.

Surely all second hand cars have part worn tyres on them, or do you insist on all the tyres being brand new before you buy the car. Who knows what the history of any tyre is on a car.

Surely all second hand cars have part worn tyres on them, or do you insist on all the tyres being brand new before you buy the car. Who knows what the history of any tyre is on a car.

Use that excuse to justify your purchase all you want, but face reality the part worns have been taken from vehicles for a reason.

What about if the donor car was written off if it was hit while parked and not economical to repair?

Or otherwise scrapped? My assistant has just bought a new car, his old one is going to the scrap yard, but he had two brand new tyres fitted six months ago.

And how many crashes / deaths have been blamed on part worn tyres?

First thing I do with a "new" secondhand car is change all the fluids, belts and tyres. No nasty surprises that way.

First thing I do with a "new" secondhand car is change all the fluids, belts and tyres. No nasty surprises that way.

So let's say you buy a pre-owned 64 plate focus with 8000 miles on the clock, the first thing you do is change all the belts and the tyres. come on now!!!

Personally I don't buy part worn tyres, but for some people who have cheap runarounds it's uneconomical to buy brand new tyres and part worns are the only way to go.

Edited by AMR67