Mobile car mechanic just cost me £100

I just got a mobile car mechanic to change my front brake discs and pads.

Half way through the job, he knocks on the door and says the piston on the caliper had seized and he'd broken it while trying to push it back in. He said it'll be £100 for a new one including fitting and bleeding the brakes afterwards.

Looking at the damage, it looked like he hadn't used the proper method of retracting the piston, one corner had broken off, he'd used a pry bar between the disc and piston to push it back instead of using a G clamp and applying even pressure across the face of it. Any mechanics out there that think he's an idiot or should I cut him some slack? Cheers!

Yeah thanks byeo, thats my feeling too. I've watched enough episodes of Wheeler Dealers to know how to fit discs and pads, I'm sure I could have done it myself but I don't like getting my hands dirty! He's coming back in an hour to fit the new caliper so I'll front him out.

Both are the wrong method really.

You should crack the bleed nipple off, then the piston will retract with much less force required.

You shouldn't force the piston back, you can damage the master cylinder forcing the fluid through in the wrong direction.

Yeah thanks byeo, thats my feeling too. I've watched enough episodes of Wheeler Dealers to know how to fit discs and pads, I'm sure I could have done it myself but I don't like getting my hands dirty! He's coming back in an hour to fit the new caliper so I'll front him out.

Amazing how nothing is ever seized up on wheeler dealers ? :huh:

I wish i could edit all the difficult stuff out when i do a job ! :roll:

Caliper pistons are quite often seized, but should go in ok with a proper wind back tool.

If it's really difficult to get it back in, then the piston may be badly rusted & the caliper may need replacement anyway ?

Caliper pistons are quite often seized, but should go in ok with a proper wind back tool.

If it's really difficult to get it back in, then the piston may be badly rusted & the caliper may need replacement anyway ?

I have just replaced both rear calipers on my Scenic, I have never used a proper tool for pushing the caliper back, never had a broken piston either. It is a long time ago that I worked on cars.

The calipers that I have just replaced were seized, screw thread, so I wasnt able to push them back. Both calipers cost me £85 from ebay.