Mobile car mechanic just cost me £100

Amazing how nothing is ever seized up on wheeler dealers ? :huh:

I wish i could edit all the difficult stuff out when i do a job ! :roll:

Caliper pistons are quite often seized, but should go in ok with a proper wind back tool.

If it's really difficult to get it back in, then the piston may be badly rusted & the caliper may need replacement anyway ?

Ive watch virtually ALL of the wheeler dealer programmes and its amazing that there is never any swearing or cursing at siezed componants and he never gets his hands damaged by slipping tools or hot bits :)

Ive watch virtually ALL of the wheeler dealer programmes and its amazing that there is never any swearing or cursing at siezed componants and he never gets his hands damaged by slipping tools or hot bits :)

Be rather handy having Big Ed living on your street wouldn't it?!

It's a PT Cruiser and he said it was because the piston is plastic (phenolic resin) more brittle than metal. I still think he was too heavy handed and careless. I paid him anyway and at least I've got me brakes back!

If it was a resin piston then it probably wasn't even seized in the first place, it would easily fracture when uneven force, as you described, was applied to it.

The guy knowingly used the wrong method (the correct method is a wind-back tool, about £15). You shouldn't have to pay for the results of willful neglect, I would contact trading standards before going any further.

If it was a resin piston then it probably wasn't even seized in the first place, it would easily fracture when uneven force, as you described, was applied to it.

The guy knowingly used the wrong method (the correct method is a wind-back tool, about £15). You shouldn't have to pay for the results of willful neglect, I would contact trading standards before going any further.

Aren't wind back tools only needed on the rear brakes because of the handbrake mechanism?..I've never used a wind back tool on any front brakes...

Aren't wind back tools only needed on the rear brakes because of the handbrake mechanism?..I've never used a wind back tool on any front brakes...

A different wind back tool is required for parking brake callipers (usually situated on the rear) these are often bought as a set and cost much more than a standard wind-back tool.

The proper way to push back any calliper piston is a wind-back tool.

They are cheap as chips now and there's no excuse for any professional not to have one http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=brake+spreader+calliper+universal&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbrake+spreader+calliper.TRS0&_nkw=brake+spreader+calliper&_sacat=0

You can get away with using cruder methods on cast pistons, but resin and ceramic pistons fracture extremely easily. With all due respect, just because you've never used the correct method doesn't mean that it isn't the correct method.

Edited by RootsBooster

A different wind back tool is required for parking brake callipers (usually situated on the rear) these are often bought as a set and cost much more than a standard wind-back tool.

The proper way to push back any calliper piston is a wind-back tool.

They are cheap as chips now and there's no excuse for any professional not to have one http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=brake+spreader+calliper+universal&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbrake+spreader+calliper.TRS0&_nkw=brake+spreader+calliper&_sacat=0

That's not a wind back tool as I know it..it's a caliper spreader... a wind back tool actually winds the piston back,that just pushes it back...terminoligy issue I think :)

That's not a wind back tool as I know it..it's a caliper spreader... a wind back tool actually winds the piston back,that just pushes it back...terminoligy issue I think :)

Yes, a terminology issue. I'm from within the motor industry where any tool used to push the piston back is typically called a 'wind-back'. Some of them do wind back and some of the spread, via winding a knob.

EDIT:

The larger wind-back kits that come with multiple 'shoes' also come with a smooth/flat one for use on standard pistons.

Edited by RootsBooster

No £100 is extra, because he'd destroyed the caliper changing the brakes in the first place.

Sorry didn’t read it correctly. Adding an extra £100 is bad…. However to be honest most will say if anything breaks , Nothing I can do about it. You have to pay more.

Lets say I come to change a wheel. The nuts shear off because of rust etc, You then have to pay more to replace the rusty broken wheel nuts.

RE: The caliper He should have drained the brake fluid then bleed the brakes after with new fluid.

---------- Post added 09-08-2015 at 01:14 ----------

Things I did in the past. Grind the pads down so they would fit. Use mole grips to hold the brake calipers back. Why? because it was faster than releasing the pressure by draining the brake fluid and then the hassle bleeding the brakes. Remember this was before you had the auto tech that now lets one person do it on their own.

It is so easy now for one man to do it on their own. It is a little compressor that feeds the brake fluid so only needs one person to remove and replace / bleed the brakes.