Shorter working week

Hi, I'm just wondering what peoples thought are on a shorter working week where possible, lets say the maximum is 30 hours a week, would you go for 6 over 5 days 2 days off, or 8.5 over 4 with a 3 day weekend.

This thread can be used as a discussion to all things to do with it, like if it's practical in your own individual line of work to shorten the hours, I know pay would have to increase to tenner an hour to get a living wage.

I would rather have a 3 day weekend or use the spare day for training/improving my skill set if needed.

So 7.85 living wage at 40 hours, or 10.46 living wage at 30 hours?

cheers

I have friends who work 4 day weeks: 08.30 - 18.30 (30 min dinner) so they end up doing 38 hours a week and then make up the extra hours by doing an extra day once every now and then.

Works well for them.

Why should an employer pay more for less though?

I know pay would have to increase to tenner an hour to get a living wage

So (as an example) if a bus driver were to work only 30 hours a week yet get paid 25% more (pro rata), what do you think will happen to bus fares?

Extrapolate across all jobs nationwide.

I'm happy for my staff to work like this. If they want to work 8am to 5pm with half an hour lunch to build up their hours, so that they can have Friday off, I'm fine with that. As long as I know in advance, and the hours are there, it's all good.

Hi, I'm just wondering what peoples thought are on a shorter working week where possible, lets say the maximum is 30 hours a week, would you go for 6 over 5 days 2 days off, or 8.5 over 4 with a 3 day weekend.

This thread can be used as a discussion to all things to do with it, like if it's practical in your own individual line of work to shorten the hours, I know pay would have to increase to tenner an hour to get a living wage.

I would rather have a 3 day weekend or use the spare day for training/improving my skill set if needed.

cheers

I noticed the 5 day week is getting longer. 8.30 to 5.30 in some places now.

Research indicates working longer hours produces diminishing returns. I noticed friday is a vacuum!

A 4 day week is best imo.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 08:41 ----------

I have friends who work 4 day weeks: 08.30 - 18.30 (30 min dinner) so they end up doing 38 hours a week and then make up the extra hours by doing an extra day once every now and then.

Works well for them.

Why should an employer pay more for less though?

Productivity. Why should hours spent be above results?

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 08:43 ----------

I'm happy for my staff to work like this. If they want to work 8am to 5pm with half an hour lunch to build up their hours, so that they can have Friday off, I'm fine with that. As long as I know in advance, and the hours are there, it's all good.

Sounds progressive. I have yet to work in any office that offers a 4 day week. Its too out there for most places!

Productivity. Why should hours spent be above results?

Depends on the specific requirements I suppose - a lot of places don't have a set amount of work, but rather need people in/available between certain hours.

In theory it works, a bit different I suspect in real life.

Flexible working is the way forward. Some people (think of parents/carers etc.) are better off working fewer hours or days, Introducing more flexibility will also have positive effects on commutes etc. Unfortunately in reality many employers have no real bead on the workload they demand of workers so flexible contracts get turned into full time jobs with fewer hours, because that is what the expected outcome is.

cheers

I've worked a 4 * 10hr week before. It was tiring during the week, but I was away from home, so the 3 day weekend was totally worth it.

I don't think you can expect to work less hours and then demand more pay in order to make a "living wage" though.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 09:58 ----------

Sounds progressive. I have yet to work in any office that offers a 4 day week. Its too out there for most places!

Anyone who has children can request an alteration to their working pattern, and a business has to have a good reason to refuse it. I know a few people who work 4 day weeks (pro-rata'd obviously, not still paid for full time).

Some working hours just don't get counted by employers, some retail workers I know have to arrive 20mins early and when the stores closes they are expected to cash up their tills in unpaid time. These small chunks do add up to a few hours each month.