Shorter working week

Showering twice a day is slightly OTT, but that aside and back on topic...

Here is something in today's news for all you "macho", long hour, greasy pole climbing, sycophants to consider:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33986250

So not only do you let most of life pass you by (seeing family grow up, spending time with friends, doing things for yourself, etc), but you also get to die earlier and more stressed too. Something to think about during extended periods of presenteeism just to try to get yourself a few grand a year more.

Nothing natural about a 60 hour work week.

and excessive workloads.

30 hours would provide the right blend of worklife balance.

Due to child care, I work 22.5 hours a week on average, and to be honest I do really miss the challenges that work brings.

Nothing natural about a 60 hour work week.

and excessive workloads.

30 hours would provide the right blend of worklife balance.

The study you linked to showed that productivity doesn't start to decline until numbers are much higher than the average UK working week.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 07:18 ----------

Shower after work / wash in morning

No breakfast just a morning cuppa

Normally 40mins from bed to work - no rushing!!

---------- Post added 20-08-2015 at 20:44 ----------

Thinking back - I'd be home, showered and dressed for 2:30 - 2:45 ish ready and buzzing

So it was only an 0520 start.

I can tell you exactly how 'buzzing' I'd be. Buzzing with tiredness at 1445 and ready for a couple of hours sleep.

Due to child care, I work 22.5 hours a week on average, and to be honest I do really miss the challenges that work brings.

That's a bit too little. At least you can work your life round work. Not the other way round.

I was working 65-70 hours at one point. It becomes like being on a treadmill and I was using holiday time just to recover and weekends.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 12:04 ----------

The study you linked to showed that productivity doesn't start to decline until numbers are much higher than the average UK working week.

Whatever. I think 30 or 4 days is optimimum over the long term. With exceptions and variants.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 12:05 ----------

I dont think 50-60 long term is sustainable. Guaranteed bad health by middle age.

So you introduced a study, scientific evidence about the subject.

But now you expect your "whatever, I think {random number}" should be given more weight than the evidence you introduced.

Hoist by your own petard I believe.

You've decided on a number, which is entirely subjective and now you're intent on telling everyone that it's the only 'right' number. 22.5 is too little, 37.5 is too much, the 30 you've decided on (with no academic study or rigour) is the only acceptable answer for everyone in the world.

A few years old, but likely still valid:

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/dec/08/europe-working-hours

Shows relative productivity versus hours worked across the EU. In the whole of the EU, only Austrians and, perhaps strangely, Greeks work more hours on average than us. But the numbers show nearly all of the EU work very similar hours, but with v wide ranging productivity.

I can't analyse the data any better than that as I don't understand how they calculate productivity and why Romanias is so low compared to Belgium for example.

So you introduced a study, scientific evidence about the subject.

But now you expect your "whatever, I think {random number}" should be given more weight than the evidence you introduced.

Hoist by your own petard I believe.

You've decided on a number, which is entirely subjective and now you're intent on telling everyone that it's the only 'right' number. 22.5 is too little, 37.5 is too much, the 30 you've decided on (with no academic study or rigour) is the only acceptable answer for everyone in the world.

I don't have time for your ill informed nonsense.

As this is my subject I'm qualified to draw my own conclusions without deference. Although taking all relevant studies into account.

If you look into it 30 hours is also the figure many economists arrive at. But you wont know that.

30 hours is just more fun and healthier. Thats my opinion.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 12:25 ----------

22.5 is too little, 37.5 is too much, the 30 you've decided on (with no academic study or rigour) is the only acceptable answer for everyone in the world.

Strawman. Ive clearly never said that.

i dont have time for your nonsense today. Go and strawman argue a lamp post.:loopy:

As this is my subject I'm qualified to draw my own conclusions without deference. Although taking all relevant studies into account.

If you look into it 30 hours is also the figure many economists arrive at. But you wont know that.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 12:25 ----------

Strawman. Ive clearly never said that.

i dont have time for your nonsense today. Go and strawman argue a lamp post.:loopy:

This is only possible in some ( maybe most ) occupations as if you are on long distance European or further work you are away for several weeks at a time say 6 to 8 so by reducing the working week by half you would double the time away from home this also applies to seaman where in this case you would have to double the amount of personnel crewing ships.

In the 50s into the 70s there was a lot people who worked 12 hour shifts 6 or 7 days a week but times have changed nowadays but there are some occupations where it is not possible to reduce the working week.

---------- Post added 21-08-2015 at 16:18 ----------

Not now, I think- isn't there a maximum working week law applying generally?

Jeffery, if the transport industry did not opt out of the working time directive working week the cost of things would go up dramatically.

In 1970 the legal working hours of a lorry driver were less than they are at the present time.

Then you were limited to 60 hours driving and each week and maximum working time of 12 and half hours per day less 45 min. break.Weekly rest was a 24 hour period.

Nowadays I think it is 56 hours driving per week but only 90 hours per fortnight but you can work a spread over of 15 hours 3 times a week and 13 hours on the other days and a rest period of 45 hours which can be reduced to 36 hours or 24 hours if you are away from base but these reductions must be made up in the next 3 weeks, I think this still correct as I have been retired a few years now.

Ah, now we come down to it. 30 hrs being 'correct' is just your opinion.

Well, everyone's entitled to one aren't they.