Shorter working week

Flexible working is the way forward. Some people (think of parents/carers etc.) are better off working fewer hours or days, Introducing more flexibility will also have positive effects on commutes etc. Unfortunately in reality many employers have no real bead on the workload they demand of workers so flexible contracts get turned into full time jobs with fewer hours, because that is what the expected outcome is.

Presenteeism over productivity. Hours over efficiency.

Very backwards thinking. I even think flexi time doesnt work as it should.

Id like to see a complete rethink of the notion of a standard 40 hour work week. A results only work environment.

At least a flexibility and willingness to deviate from this outmoded concept.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 10:11 ----------

Anyone who has children can request an alteration to their working pattern, and a business has to have a good reason to refuse it. I know a few people who work 4 day weeks (pro-rata'd obviously, not still paid for full time).

I know people who have done pro rata.

Non where the culture encourages or implements a 4 day work week. Although I do believe these companies exist.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 10:12 ----------

Some working hours just don't get counted by employers, some retail workers I know have to arrive 20mins early and when the stores closes they are expected to cash up their tills in unpaid time. These small chunks do add up to a few hours each month.

A few hours each month. Hundreds a year. Unpaid hours.

Where is 40 standard? I most often work 37.5, some places I've worked run 35 or 36 hr weeks. Some have been 40, but I'd have said that 37.5 is most common.

Maybe people aren't deducting their lunch break, so they're looking at 5x8 instead of 5x7.5?

My sister used to work 3x14 hours shifts per week (with a 1.5 hour break = 37.5 hours) and she loved it. Unfortunately it was stopped due to the working time directive of an 11 hour break between shifts. I know she could have opted out but the hospital just stopped it anyway because of it.

I personally have done long shifts over 4 days before and it's ok, back to 5 days now and I think I prefer it, less days off but not as knackered on them :)

Where is 40 standard? I most often work 37.5, some places I've worked run 35 or 36 hr weeks. Some have been 40, but I'd have said that 37.5 is most common.

9-5 is standard. Minus lunch.

But i was referring to the concept.

The problem with rethinking the 5 day working week is that if your customers work 5 days a week, then your business needs to work 5 days a week as well.

Most people if told they only have to work 4 days a week will take Monday or Friday off, leaving you with a staffing problem on those days.

And in jobs where productivity is harder to measure it's very difficult to do anything other than have a working day as the measure of doing enough.

I always appreciate flexibility in the workplace, some days I might stay late, and other days leave early, but over the course of the week it's best to have an agreed number of hours IMO.

The problem with rethinking the 5 day working week is that if your customers work 5 days a week, then your business needs to work 5 days a week as well.

Most people if told they only have to work 4 days a week will take Monday or Friday off, leaving you with a staffing problem on those days.

And in jobs where productivity is harder to measure it's very difficult to do anything other than have a working day as the measure of doing enough.

I always appreciate flexibility in the workplace, some days I might stay late, and other days leave early, but over the course of the week it's best to have an agreed number of hours IMO.

The cultural norm is a 5 day work week, 9-5.

It would take a seismic shift to change to 4.

The shift is going the other way. we seem to believe simply putting more hours in is the answer to low output.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 10:42 ----------

Might work in manufacturing. Not in a knowledge economy.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 11:01 ----------

40 hours is an anachronism. Constructed for capitalism only. It serves no other purpose.

I doubt that the norm will become 4 in our lifetime. I don't think most people actually want to only work 4 days a week, not if it means a 20% paycut.

Any number of hours is arbitrary, but it's an arbitrary number that companies and employee's are happy to work with.

I doubt that the norm will become 4 in our lifetime. I don't think most people actually want to only work 4 days a week, not if it means a 20% paycut.

Any number of hours is arbitrary, but it's an arbitrary number that companies and employee's are happy to work with.

Are employees happy working 40 plus hours? Really?

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 11:36 ----------

It wasnt created for employees. A 40 hour work week and long hours cukture serves consumerism only.