Shorter working week

Not enslavement though is it? You at liberty to leave and fine employment elsewhere..

Wage slavery is actual dependence or a state of mind. Consumer driven and perpetuated by corporations.

Not stating preference here. Just the truth how i see it.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 12:44 ----------

That if you work hard enough you can achieve anything etc. On the whole its a lie. Not the words - to work hard is admirable.

But stuff like that is aspirational BS, perpuated by companies that want us to buy mortgages, better cars, upgrade phones...and so on.

The work week feeds into these lies. It leaves us just enough time to eat convenience foods, drive cars and enjoy a social life by spending money. Often that we dont have. And to pay taxes that funds more consumerism.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 12:45 ----------

Its what the system wants and expects of you.

Edited by TJC1

As has already been said though:

Because time at work is equivalent to amount of work being done, roughly speaking.

Of course most people would prefer to work less hours per week as that would increase the amount of time they can spend with family or doing hobbies or whatever - most people however would not be prepared to accept the pay reduction, so the extra hours worked are "worth" the financial gain.

As has already been said though:

Of course most people would prefer to work less hours per week as that would increase the amount of time they can spend with family or doing hobbies or whatever - most people however would not be prepared to accept the pay reduction, so the extra hours worked are "worth" the financial gain.

But the question was are they happy?

Cyclone said yes. I say no.

And financial gain for what?

To buy a lot of stuff they dont need.

Am not judging. Its just how I see it.

Maybe you love work and accept long hours, which is great. Even then nobody lays in their deathbed thinking i wish id worked more hours and seen my kids less.

But the question was are they happy?

Cyclone said yes. I say no.

And financial gain for what?

To buy a lot of stuff they dont need.

Am not judging. Its just how I see it.

Maybe you love work and accept long hours, which is great. Even then nobody lays in their deathbed thinking i wish id worked more hours and seen my kids less.

Is working 37.5 hours a week long hours?

For example i know people who have to have the latest phone when old one worked perfectly well.

I know people who upgrade the car every 2 or 3 years to something perceived as newer and shinier. But then say the last car was the best they ever had!

Not judging. Its what the system expects.

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 13:05 ----------

Is working 37.5 hours a week long hours?

It depends. If a lot of travel and expected over time involved it can be.

I was in an office like that, where it was expected you would eat lunch at desk and put in overtime. The contracted hours were 37.5.

Its quite normal.

It depends. If a lot of travel and expected over time involved it can be.

I was in an office like that, where it was expected you would eat lunch at desk and put in overtime. The contracted hours were 37.5.

Its quite normal.

That doesn't really answer the question though does it. Is working 37.5 hours a week actually long hours?

If they aren't happy then the have the power to change that by doing less hours, either by taking home less money or by getting a better paid job.

Does more money make you happy?

Or does more freedom make you happy?

Which is the greater barometer of happiness?

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 13:14 ----------

That doesn't really answer the question though does it. Is working 37.5 hours a week actually long hours?

Its a matter of personal opinion.

So employees would be happy with working less hours then.

40+ hours is standard but employees are not necessarily happy with it. Its just the accepted norm.

Anecdotedly everybody I know wants to work less hours not more!

No, employee's wouldn't be happy with working less and being paid appropriately for the less.

I'm sure a vast majority of people would be very happy with working less for the same money, or indeed winning the lottery. But meanwhile, in the real world...

---------- Post added 06-08-2015 at 13:17 ----------

Are they happy with a 40 hour+ work week was the question.

They're obviously happy with the compromise they have between hours worked and pay paid, otherwise they are in a lot of cases free to work less and be paid less, and yet they don't. Life is all about compromises