Bulls head Dunn st

Timeh

Can anyone help with finding out some history on the place? Ive been asked by a reli but my health is crap right now so cant commit to the time it will probably take.

Id be very grateful for some help and i could pay a bit you or do some sort of favour exchange where as id return the favour as and when you need.

The Bulls Head was once one of three pubs on Dun Street , in its day was reported to be quite rough. No idea when it closed but I think its a printing works now but retains the original windows and a sign on the side wall. If you want to know who was living their in the past census returns or trade books might tell you. The problem with pubs they can be their for hundreds of years but leave little behind record wise.

There's a "desk based assessment" available on the Archaeology Data Service website at the University of York.

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/myads/copyrights?from=2f6172636869766544532f61726368697665446f776e6c6f61643f743d617263682d3930392d312f64697373656d696e6174696f6e2f7064662f6d61747269786172312d33313538315f312e706466

It gives a lot of information.

Edited to add it's now Kelham Island Community Childcare.

http://www.kelhamislandcc.co.uk/contact

Edited by Bandylegs
Forgetfullness

I've looked in the A-Z listing of Sheffield Pubs, there's not much info that Crookedspire hasn't written.

This is the entry:

Bulls Head Hotel 18 Dun Street

This hotel, as history will have it, was one of, if not, the roughest place in the Sheffield township, and was nicknamed the Devil's Kitchen. Dun Street which runs between Shalesmoor and Green Lane is no longer than 100 yards and at one time had no dwellings' only three public houses: the Bulls Head, the Queens and the Gardeners Rest.

A bit of info from Sheffield History site:

RichardB

Sheffield History Pro

Sheffield History Team

25,028 posts

Location:Upperthorpe, Walkley, Hillsborough, Walkley, the North East since 1981.

Interests:Making this place the best of its kind. Free, polite, helpful.

Your input requested via comments, questions, photos, memories etc.

Posted 2 Apr 2008 (edited)

Bull's Head

18 Dun Street, S3

Open 1851 Closed Span

Comments

Earlier

1859 Elizabeth Maskrey

1889 Mrs Sarah Furniss

1891 James Furniss

1901 Joseph Buttery [ census born 1873 ]

1937 Byron Arthur Yates

1938 Alice Lynden

1939 Mrs Alice Lynden

1942 Alice Lynden

1944 John Haley

1948 George C Mannion

1951 Arthur Sawdon

picturesheffield

Edited 11 Jul 2013 by ukelele lady

5 updates

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/3522-pubs-a-to-e-keepers-picture-links/&page=20

Can anyone help with finding out some history on the place? Ive been asked by a reli but my health is crap right now so cant commit to the time it will probably take.

Id be very grateful for some help and i could pay a bit you or do some sort of favour exchange where as id return the favour as and when you need.

i can tell you that the bulls head was one of the pubs at the centre of sheffield's gang wars.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...