Sheffield Pub Buildings

Pubs come in different shapes, sizes and styles weather it be a simple mid terrace affair to a grand Victorian Gin palace. Sheffield has quite an interesting selection either still open or closed. For Edwardian and Victorian tile work frontage the Hallamshire Hotel on West Street and Norfolk Arms on East Carlisle Street are prime examples . For the oddest looking pub for me was the Hole in the Wall on Savile Street as the facade seemed mismatched, a good example of Space Age roofline goes to the former Horse and Lion at Norfolk Park. Big Gun on the Wicker and Queens Head on Pond Street are two of the oldest pubs in Sheffield, one of my favourites is the Queens Hotel on Scotland Street the brickwork is quite nice though been left derelict since 1997 its future in doubt. Which pub building do you like and what catches your eye feature wise doesn't matter if the pub is closed or open , demolished or changed its use?

Pubs come in different shapes, sizes and styles weather it be a simple mid terrace affair to a grand Victorian Gin palace. Sheffield has quite an interesting selection either still open or closed. For Edwardian and Victorian tile work frontage the Hallamshire Hotel on West Street and Norfolk Arms on East Carlisle Street are prime examples . For the oddest looking pub for me was the Hole in the Wall on Savile Street as the facade seemed mismatched, a good example of Space Age roofline goes to the former Horse and Lion at Norfolk Park. Big Gun on the Wicker and Queens Head on Pond Street are two of the oldest pubs in Sheffield, one of my favourites is the Queens Hotel on Scotland Street the brickwork is quite nice though been left derelict since 1997 its future in doubt. Which pub building do you like and what catches your eye feature wise doesn't matter if the pub is closed or open , demolished or changed its use?

Funny you started this thread as I was recently wondering about a couple of downtown pubs i.e. the Lady's Bridge, I see it is another business now so I assume the Whitbread brewery must have moved too. It was the only bar in the world where you could get Gold Label on draft, direct from the brewery, When did it close anyone? The other one was the Kings Arms at the top of Commercial Street, right where the 95 Walkley bus used to stand. A lot of nudge, nudge,wink wink types went in there lol

The former Amberley Hotel on Attercliffe Common, considering where it was and what it was, looked a formidable place.

The Ball Inn on Darnall Road is still standing but in a sorry state. It's really been in the wars but worthy of restoration. Unfortunately the original interior was ripped out long before it closed for business.

When I used to drink in that location there were eight pubs and that's down to one now. Seven of them are still standing.

Recently demolished Tramway pub on London Road had an usual frontage I'm going to miss that tram painting on it's corner. The closed Link pub at Park Hill flats has usual triangle windows a popular design during the 1960s, The Elm Tree at Manor Top was a classic brewers Tudor design similar to the Arbourthorn Hotel might had the same architect to design both. One great loss to the city centre was the Grand Hotel on Leopold Street looked so much better than that office block which replaced it.

---------- Post added 07-08-2015 at 08:48 ----------

Funny you started this thread as I was recently wondering about a couple of downtown pubs i.e. the Lady's Bridge, I see it is another business now so I assume the Whitbread brewery must have moved too. It was the only bar in the world where you could get Gold Label on draft, direct from the brewery, When did it close anyone? The other one was the Kings Arms at the top of Commercial Street, right where the 95 Walkley bus used to stand. A lot of nudge, nudge,wink wink types went in there lol

The Lady Bridge pub closed in 1993.

---------- Post added 07-08-2015 at 08:50 ----------

The Ball Inn on Darnall Road is still standing but in a sorry state. It's really been in the wars but worthy of restoration. Unfortunately the original interior was ripped out long before it closed for business.

When I used to drink in that location there were eight pubs and that's down to one now. Seven of them are still standing.

The Ball Inn is listed grade two , shame about the inside been destroyed.